1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know, when i first started posting here i talked about my brother having a 2001 SA loaded pistol. we kept having trouble to get the thing to work because the rounds keep stopping about half way in. well the pistol is gone now to a friend of mine, anyway.

i was at the local police supply store today and the guy hleping noticed i was carrying a colt. he asked if i had tried their new SA loaded pistols, i told him a i had and it kept jamming. he said that this year he has had three come back to him doing the same thing, the round was not going all the way in.

to make a long story not so long, he said that he simply changed out the barrel bushing on them and then they ran fine. he said that the barrel bushing is what was causing the problems in all three of the guns he had come back.

so anyway, i thought i would pass that along to anyone who may having the same type of trouble. thats what we're here for right!!!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Barrell bushing ??

I had a similar problem, but it was only my FLGR coming loose. Once tight and secured by Locktite, everything ran fine. Curious as to exactly how a bushing could cause this problem. Any thoughts ??
RUSSEL213 said:
as some of you know, when i first started posting here i talked about my brother having a 2001 SA loaded pistol. we kept having trouble to get the thing to work because the rounds keep stopping about half way in. well the pistol is gone now to a friend of mine, anyway.

i was at the local police supply store today and the guy hleping noticed i was carrying a colt. he asked if i had tried their new SA loaded pistols, i told him a i had and it kept jamming. he said that this year he has had three come back to him doing the same thing, the round was not going all the way in.

to make a long story not so long, he said that he simply changed out the barrel bushing on them and then they ran fine. he said that the barrel bushing is what was causing the problems in all three of the guns he had come back.

so anyway, i thought i would pass that along to anyone who may having the same type of trouble. thats what we're here for right!!!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Flgr

Full Length Guide Rod

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The barrel bushing has to allow for the free up and down movement of the barrel. If it is too tight, it will bind as the barrel moves and not only possibly slow or stop the slide, but can also cause the barrel to actually flex. Everyone seems to think the bushing must be very tight on the barrel, but it can be too tight. A few careful passes with a Dremel tool sanding drum will usually cure the problem at the rear of the bushing, and some light hand polishing is in order if the bind is at the front. (Work on the bushing, as it is less expensive than the barrel.)

I am not sure if this is what the man in the store was referring to or not, but it could have been.

Jim

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
stumbler said:
Another reason to replace the collet bushing with a solid hand fitted bushing.
Hand fitted bushings often ARE the problem, since many gunsmiths seem to be unaware of the problems that arise when the bushings are too tightly fitted.

Jim

·
Registered
955 Posts
Jim Keenan said:
Hand fitted bushings often ARE the problem, since many gunsmiths seem to be unaware of the problems that arise when the bushings are too tightly fitted.

Jim
Collets don't usually have tightness problem at the back end, because of the flex in the fingers......

Got ta be a bit more careful with the solid bushings.........
Make sure ya put the right one on..........don't use a Gov. style on a Commander......I stopped a friend who was about to do that.
That would have given a new name to barrel lock up........

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Wichaka,

Even with the right bushing for the pistol, you can still get into problems if it is so tight it won't allow proper barrel movement. It is easy to check, but with the customers demanding "tight" guns, the temptation is to allow as little movement as possible, and sometimes smiths/fitters go too far.

Jim

·
Registered
955 Posts
Jim Keenan said:
Hi, Wichaka,

Even with the right bushing for the pistol, you can still get into problems if it is so tight it won't allow proper barrel movement. It is easy to check, but with the customers demanding "tight" guns, the temptation is to allow as little movement as possible, and sometimes smiths/fitters go too far.

Jim

I agree Jim,
One really must understand what's going on with all the parts of the 1911 when it's fired to make sure problems aren't self inflicted.

I smith for my L.E. Dept., as well as neighboring Depts., and do some outside work as well, and have seen just that. Some owners are wanting mods. that just can't be done, either for safety or function reasons.

I know I'll never know everything about these 1911's, seems like I'm running into something new every now & then, but it's good people like you Jim that help everyone enjoy this hobby!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: too-tight bushing

This is a perfect tie-in for a little trick I just discovered. Just got my Kimber Polymer Stainless back from an accuracy job. First time at the range it functioned OK (amazing accuracy, probably one-hole from a machine rest). Second time at the range I had some FTE/FTF. I thought, OK, its dirty (Wolf ammo), but too much disassembly/assembly can't be good for the accuracy job. So, I PUT A RING OF LIGHT OIL AROUND THE END OF THE BARREL WHERE IT CONTACTS THE BUSHING AND ALSO AROUND THE END OF THE FLGR. SON OF A GUN IF THAT WASN'T THE TRICK. Third trip to the range, 300 shots, NO malfunctions, and the same amazing accuracy. This is an easy thing to try, and you might be surprised by the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts