1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use Colt 80s slide, with firing pin safety plunger removed ,(necessary) on a 70s frame, for a build I am slowly progressing with.

I inquired here a few weeks ago if I need to plug, or be concerned about the plunger hole, and members were good enough to weigh in that I did not.

I had to be away from that project for a while, so no further questions about it till now. After further reading and listening, I find advice to use a lighter firing pin(titanium) and a stronger firing pin spring, if removing that plunger.... By the way, this is a range piece, and not to be carried except to and from the range.

I plan to use the C&S ignition kit (4.5 lb.) which has the main, and sear springs, plus hammer,sear, and disco.

I would not have thought the plunger would put so much pressure on the firing pin that you would have to compensate, if it were gone, and this advice could be for safety sake, but I would like an opinion from you 1911 guys. Thanks

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Wolf extra power FP spring is what you need. They come with the recoil spring when you order a RC spring.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I would not have thought the plunger would put so much pressure on the firing pin that you would have to compensate
The plunger doesn't put pressure on the firing pin at all. It adds pull and drag to the trigger group, as pulling the trigger back is what moves the series 80 parts.

The extra power firing pin spring doesn't "compensate" for removal of the plunger - it simply gives you a bit more insurance against accidental drops causing inertia-fired AD's now that the plunger is gone.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The titanium firing pin with a heavier firing pin spring lessens the chance of the pistol firing by inertia if dropped in its muzzle. All part of California's efforts to make guns 'safe'. You can use your 80 series pin and spring.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
The plunger doesn't put pressure on the firing pin at all. It adds pull and drag to the trigger group, as pulling the trigger back is what moves the series 80 parts.

The extra power firing pin spring doesn't "compensate" for removal of the plunger - it simply gives you a bit more insurance against accidental drops causing inertia-fired AD's now that the plunger is gone.
Yep. A bit of extra insurance if you want it. It's a personal choice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. When I first heard, (or read) for the need of a heavier fp spring I assumed it was a mechanical issue for function. Glad you cleared it up for me.

Among the first six replies you have better than thirty thousand posts ! Impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts