1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to 1911's, so I was wondering if I could get some advice. Is it possible to install a Heine magwell like the one in the pics on a bobtail? It looks to me like you could just cut the back off the magwell and blend it into the bobtail, but I really don't know how these things are fitted. Would this work?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
The bobtail requires drilling a new hole for your MSH, and the use of an Officer/Compact sized MSH. Don't think the magwell would be compatible. Plus, the entire purpose of the bobtail is to minimize grip printing for CCW.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Gonzalez, I think it can be done, and this type of magwell, which doesn't add to either the length or width of the grip, will do nothing at all to make the grip more likely to print.

·
Registered
182 Posts
jggonzalez said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to 1911's, so I was wondering if I could get some advice. Is it possible to install a Heine magwell like the one in the pics on a bobtail? It looks to me like you could just cut the back off the magwell and blend it into the bobtail, but I really don't know how these things are fitted. Would this work?

Thanks,

Joe
I would like to see if this (or something similar) can be done somehow. I have a Heinie magwell on a standard 5" and it does not look like its possible, you have to re-drill the pin hole for a bobtail. I am not a gun smith though, nor do I play one on TV.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
One of the primary reasons for a Bobtail is to improve the concealibility and a Magwell would, to some degree, negate that feature. The Magazine slot is already relieved to facilitate magazine insertion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will clear up some confusion about the Heinie magwell. The Heinie magwell does not add any length or width to the frame. You have to machine some of the bottom of the frame off and then relieve the grips to cover the magwell. Adding this to a bobtail would be awesome. It would give you the easy reloads of a magwell with the easy concealment of the bobtail. I think it might be possible if you cut the rear of the Heinie magwell and redrill a hole for the pin. I also think you would have to weld on the magwell instead of tapping the frame and modify a pair of bobtail grips.

Pics of Heinie Magwell on one of my guns:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You could fabricate something like a Heinie, but as you said, it would likely be a weld on job and you'd have to artfully blend the back of it into the bobtail shape. You'd lose the rear bevel as, with the bobail, there's not enough material at the rear of the grip to bevel anything away....behold the mightiness of photoshop......

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I wouldn't say no to one of those! Nice photoshopping, Asiparks. MAD skillz! :rock:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow looks pretty good Asiparks. That is still a huge improvement even with the loss of the rear bevel. I dont think welding is too big of a deal. I think I am going to have mine silver soldered.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Asiparks' Photoshop image illustrates exactly what I, and irq, were getting at. I don't see any reason at all why this couldn't be done. We've discussed doing this at the shop, with a weld-on magwell, but just haven't had a customer who wanted it done.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
needs a big magwell looking at the size of those rounds laying around it.....:dope:
It does look like an interesting and useful mod though...hmmmmm.....
I bet if you actually made one and posted it on a few forums you might well find a fair bit of interest, just think no one's really considered it yet as, without seeing the visual, "magwell" and "bobtail" are not two things you'd naturally put together...

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
We've discussed doing this at the shop, with a weld-on magwell, but just haven't had a customer who wanted it done.
That sounds like a clue! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice!

That looks really great! I just bought a set of XS tritium sights (or rather, my wife made them my Xmas present), but I think a magwell like this will be my next mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts