1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Northern Germany, a small city in the near of Hamburg, where the well known dynamite was invented by the Swedish chemist and engineer Alfred Nobel. The old factory is only 5 minutes away from me, but now enough about history.

I'm a former German paratrooper, therefore my username, I had no better idea and this username wasn't taken, yet.

With 12 years I have shot my first blackpowder guns and in the age of 14 I have shot the first time a 1911 in .45 ACP, I got early infected with the "1911 virus" and now I start late with my first own 1911. The reason was the strict gun laws in Germany and lack of time.

Please excuse my bad language skills in English.

Best regards,
Stephan

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Rot scheint die Sonne. ;)

AC

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was stationed in Kitzingen, just south of Wurzburg.

I miss Germany.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome, from Pakistan.
what are gun laws like in Germany.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow, welcome from St. Louis, Missouri. Lots of Germans here. Home of Budweiser beer.

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
My second tour 85-88 I had a friend who was a Fallschirmjaeger in WWII fought at Normandy was captured and got a cigar from Churchill in a POW camp. Met some nice folks over there. Belonged to a shooting club in Eldersdorf just outside Erlangen.

I was a 1SG Armor.

Glad to have you here.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Fast cars (plus the 'Ring) ...
Ah yes, the vaunted Nürburgring -- I've blessed with the opportunity to attend several of racing/driving schools on the Nordschleife. Phenomenal experiences, each one. The Autobahn speaks for itself, of course.

My family and I actually lived in Germany for the better part of 10 years, and we still consider it home in a great many ways. I pretty much just "went native." Lived in small towns, bought some quick BMWs (M3, M5), qualified for a Deutsche Motorsports Bund (DMSB) Class A racing license, joined a weekly Stammtisch, earned a Jadgschein, picked up a couple of Dackels and still remain in very close contact with a group of brothers there.

Great people. Great place.

AC

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Rot scheint die Sonne. ;)

AC
I'm a big Rammstein fan, and thanks to you have had their song "Sonne" stuck in my head ALL DAY :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the vaunted Nürburgring -- I've blessed with the opportunity to attend several of racing/driving schools on the Nordschleife. Phenomenal experiences, each one. The Autobahn speaks for itself, of course.

My family and I actually lived in Germany for the better part of 10 years, and we still consider it home in a great many ways. I pretty much just "went native." Lived in small towns, bought some quick BMWs (M3, M5), qualified for a Deutsche Motorsports Bund Class A racing license, joined a weekly Stammtisch, earned a Jadgschein, picked up a couple of Dackels and still remain in very close contact with a group of brothers there.

Great people. Great place.

AC
Was having a brain fart and could not for the life of me recall the German name for the North Loop

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome from Humble, TX. I remember visiting Munich and Heidleberg when I last visited Germany. Such a beautiful Country.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you very much to all of you for the warm welcome! I'm glad many of you have great memories and you enjoyed Germany so much.

@ Army Chief
I see you know Rot scheint die Sonne, our nonofficially paratrooper hymn. Unfortunately we are not allowed to sing it anymore, we just play the melody.

@ Coolbox
The gun laws in Germany are very complex and your age is also important. When you want to have a gun, anything bigger than .22lr, to be a sportshooter, you have to be at least 25 years old.
I'm 37 years old and therefore it's a bit easier for me. I had to make a three-day-training with a final examination about guns and gun laws. I had to become a member of a official shooting club and member of a big shooting organisation. In the first year you are not allowed to buy a gun, you have to shoot guns from your shooting club. You need to trainee at least 18 times in one year and you need to have a book where the shooting club sign and stamp your training days, otherwise you can't apply for a gun license.
Since 1st. January 2013 I trainee very often and in January 2014 I can apply for my gun license, certainly I will get the license in March.
The government agency make a complete background check/criminal record, they want informations about your health and some other things.
Before you are allowed to apply for the licence, you need to have a special safe for your guns and you can't use the same safe for rifles and pistols. In addition you need to have a safe for your ammo because you are not allowed to put ammo together with a gun in one safe. You send all the papers, bills of the safes and photos to the government agency and they check everything out. In some cases the government agency/a police officer make a cold call, come to your home and check everything out.
My background is clean and therefore I'm not worried about the licence. Last month I bought already a new 1911 in .45 ACP and a used S&W 686. They are still in the safe of the gun store and I can take them after I get my licence in March.

@ Master gunner
Thank you! Around your second tour I was a kid and at this time I have met some American soldiers. My dad was his whole life in the army and I could go with him, when he showed American soldiers the city Hamburg.
Is your friend, the Fallschirmjäger vet still alive? All my Fallschirmjäger friends who served in WWII died already.

Stephan

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Unfortunately we are not allowed to sing it anymore, we just play the melody.
Stephan,

I'm an old 82d Airborne guy myself. Don't worry ... some of us still sing it for you guys. ;)

AC

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Stephan,

Gutten morgan! (I spelled those right, yes?). I own quite a few arms made in your country!

And we share a common past: we've both jumped out of a few airplanes. You were getting paid for it and I was paying someone else. LOL

Great name choice!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts