1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become a Forum Member during the past few days. There are many knowledgeable friendly people here. I look forward to becoming a positive contributor to the Forum.

I've been involved with firearms since I was a child. My Grandfather owned a farm and lived in a small Western Pensylvannia town called Saltsburg. He taught all of us the fundamentals of firearms safety and shooting as soon as we were big enough to hold a .22 rifle! I was 10 when I learned. I was a novelty because I was from the city and a girl. My Grandad and my six Uncles were all excellent marksman!

Firearms have become a life long passion and interest. I intended to become a Doctor and nearly completed my studies but took what I thought would be a "brief" sabatical to help out at home when my father became ill. The sabatical changed my career path I became an L.E.O. I have more than 25 years experience.

During my career I've taught many subjects from Defensive Driving Tactics to Firearms and Tactics. I was also a member of our Emergency Response Unit (E.R.U.) same as S.W.A.T. in other areas. I'm a yearly participant in the Police Olympics in the Firearms Competition and Road Cycling. I get a kick out of bring home the Gold - Bronze & Silver are fine but the Gold gives me a good feeling whether it's a Team or Singular Event. I'm like a big kid! Aside from being as Certified L.E.O. Firearms Instructor I'm also Certified N.R.A. Instructor.

I live in a City where firearms are frowned upon and licenses are difficult to obtain. I still encourage as many people as I can to learn the basics of shooting. I encourage families to bring their children to class with them. Children must be 12 years of age and accompanied by a parent or guardian. My range has given me Carte Blanche to bring prospective shooters to the range.

Since June 2003 I've assisted 25 families procure a Target/Premises Permit and 30 recieve their CCW Permit. I'm an advocate of an armed citizenry. I also believe that these folks must be educated in safety as well as shooting techniques. It's not a good idea for someone who has no knowledge of firearms to just buy a gun for "protection." This can be tragic for obvious reasons.

I also teach unarmed self defense classes for seniors - children and women. These are the groups that fall victim to crime most often. I also teach a Rape Awareness Program for children of both sexes (sexual preditors & pedophiles are not selective) and women.

I appreciate the local church lending me the "basement" since these classes have become so popular. I was surprised that our local Parish was so receptive -- of course I instruct the teachers and Religious Faculty if the so desire. I've enlisted the assistance of a few colleagues since the classes have grown. My charge - Nothing! I do it as a public service. Police can't be everywhere at all times. It also gives me a good feeling of doing something positive.

I'm also a volunteer for our Developments' Fire & Ambulance Corp and I will return to school to pursue my Masters' Degree in Forensic Psychology.

Life has so mant twists and turns. No one knows what tommorow will bring. I'm glad I had the chance to Serve and give back to the community.

Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Razor Ribbon,

Welcome to 1911 Forum! It sounds like you have a lot to offer and I hope that you will enjoy your time here. I'm very impressed with your commitment to helping those in your community by helping them to receive their firearms permits. You certainly made the right choice by choosing to be a public servant for your career. Helping others is what service is all about. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary

Thank you so much for your welcome and kind words! Since my retirement in June 2003 I just can't stay idle! New York City is a city of paradoxes. The City wants their citizens to be safe yet because of Politics and Budget Cuts does little to do so.

Additionally most residents give up on the idea of Gun Ownership. Once they're introduced to the Fundamentals they take to it like a "duck takes to water." Their concerns for children are an issue. Once they come to understand that firearms "safety" is no accident they begin to relax. I emphasize the real problem with firearms are the Illegal Ones in the hands of Criminals and Young Thugs trying to make a name for themselves.

When children are properly introduced to firearms amnd complete the Eddie Eagle Program the "mystique" and "verbtton" concept of a gun disapates. The more you "hide" a firearm from a child the more inquisitive and anxious to get a hold it they are. That's why I encourage parents and children to attend classes together.

Lectures concerning "safety" are passable. Actually engaging people to participate in the self defense classes really turns the tide! I hope that I'll be able to continue this education process. It is dually rewarding for the shooter/owner and myself!

·
Premium Member
16,210 Posts
What an incredible person and LEO you are! You are an inspiration to us all. If we each did one-tenth of what you do for gun awareness, safety and community involvement, most of the problems we lament here would go away.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from W. Colorado

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank You 1saxman for the compliment! I found it easier to encourage people to protect themselves than to try to convert a Liberal Anti-Gunner.

In giving I recieve so much more! I always look for ways to kindle interest in these subjects. Once people are properly introduced to firearms it breaks down barriers and myths that have impaired their reasoning ability.

I wish there were more hours in a day so that I could reach more people.

Thanks to all those who've so generously welcomed me to the Forum!

·
Registered
197 Posts
A very warm welcome to another contributor for our 2nd Amendment rights. It's always pleasant to find somebody else who is proactive for gun ownership and not afraid to state his opinion on it. I beleive you'll find this forum to be filled with some of the most intelligent minds of all the gun forums on the Net, and this comes from a guy wjo took some time looking at the others.

I've been an LEO myself for 6 years now and feel like a wee sproutling compared to the experience of many of the other forum members to include yourself and your life experience. I've so much to learn, long road ahead.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zenmeister

Glad to meet a fellow L.E.O. and a colleague! If you view each day of your career as a learning experience you'll broaden your perspectives and fight boredom.

Even with my tenure I still learn everyday. If you'd like some additional L.E.O. Forums - Equipment Sites etc., send me a PM I'll be glad to oblige!

Take Care -- Stay Safe!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Razor Ribbon, I bid you WELCOME!!!! We can always use another good member. I stand (sit?) in awe of what you've done. Makes my efforts look small indeed, they are small in comparison.

Again welcome to the nut house, I'm sure you will find lots of opinions on the various topics.

P.S. Whatchu shootin'?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Jim V

Thanks for the generous compliment! There's nothing to be in "awe" of. I just pitch in where and when I can. My reward is the satisfaction of assisting someone achieve their goal especially the new license holders.
If I can teach someone to defend themselves and/or stay out of harms way I feel I've accomplished something.

This is my current collection of Handguns :

1) S&W Model 10 2"

2) S&W Model 15 4" Combat Masterpiece -- Target Hammer - Target Trigger - Target Grips - Red Front Ramp & Adjustable Rear
Sight.

3) Sig Sauer P226 9mm

4) Sig Sauer P225 9mm

5) Beretta 92D Centurion 9mm

6) KAHR PM9

I usually carry my 92D or P226 with the PM9. As you can see most of these are typical L.E.O. guns. I'm getting away from that now.

I purchased the PM9 as a Light Summer carry especially when I ride my racing bike. It's much easier to conceal and extremely light. I considered the PM40 but if I were to get the .40 caliber I rather have it in the larger Stainless model. The PM40 has a harsh recoil. The PM9 will do nicely!

I also have an Original Colt 1911 Army Issue that was given to me by my Uncle who served in WWII. It's still in good condition. It needs a few minor parts. I fire periodically. Now that I'm retired I'll focus of bringing it up to snuff.

I'm seriously considering a .45 caliber. I have my eye on a Colt Defender. I llike the grip. My only concern is since it's a 3" barrel cis it typically used in competition? I'm new to the .45 concept but I really want to try my hand with it in competition.

I've checked the Colt Line -- Kimber -- Les Baer -- Wilson -- Ed Brown. I'm not impressed with Springfield - Rock Island and the S&W 1911 it needs some "tweaking."

I'm going to keep "looking" until I find what I really want. I've plenty of time. In New York City you can purchase 1 firearm every 3 months. It actually works out to be longer than 3 months. It's political "semantics" that will hopefully discourage people from purchasing firearms. I'm too stubborn to go along with the program.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and input concerning the Colt Defender or Defender Plus and any of the other guns I listed that I'm interested in. I know this is where the Pros are!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Razor Ribbon said:
I'm going to keep "looking" until I find what I really want. I've plenty of time. In New York City you can purchase 1 firearm every 3 months. It actually works out to be longer than 3 months. It's political "semantics" that will hopefully discourage people from purchasing firearms. I'm too stuborn to go along with the program.[/B]

Your tenacity is to be admired. Personally, I would look to move to a state where you can live your life without as much bureaucratic entanglement.

Nonetheless, you are to be admired for your work.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Razor;

Welcome to the forum from another denizen of NYC as well as a retired member of the NYPD.

One small recommendation about 1911's is to stay with a minimum barrel length of 4". Most of the big name gunsmiths agree that for utter reliability that's the way to go. I have a Kimber Compact that's fantastic to carry; 4" slide over an Officers length frame.

Let me know what parts you require for your WW II piece, I might be able to assist.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Allie : Shooting & Cycling are two of my biggest passions. Glad to meet you!

Ski3938 : My husband will retire from Law Enforcement in 2004. I love to tease him by calling him a "rookie.":D We've spoken about relocating but haven't decided where. There are 7 states that we'll pay Federal Tax only. We'd like to "maximize" our pensions in order to have more time together. ;)

Seanmac45 : Thank you for your generous offer. I'll probably work on it after the holidays. Congratulations on your retirement! It's not to often meetinf a fellow officer on these Forums.

I'm currently mulling over the Kimber Line many of my fellow shooters and Instructors at Rodmans Neck SWEAR by Kimber.
The other line of course is Colt. I do like the Defender. I like the grip I haven't heard too many "negatives" concerning function or accuracy. The only issue someone brought up was about the Defender magazines. They recommended purchasing Wilson Magazines because of the plastic follower. There appears to have been a problem with the Colt followers gouging the slide.
The Colt Commander Officers Model is another possibility.
I appreciate any and all input that you may have. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
You might want to check out an early Kimber Compact. They're a great combination of an officer-size frame and a 4" bull barrel. Mines been great for years. I'll send you a PM.
Tracy (retired three years ago)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Unlike you, I'm new to the handgun world myself. My wife and I attended a gun show this weekend. As is typical, we enjoyed a number of good conversations with exhibitors and others. After we left the show I was thinking about media stereotypes of the kind of people who go to them and about her reluctance to go with me and I had to ask her: "Aren't gun people great?" She agreed 100 percent. (She also admitted she had a good time, but that's another story.)

You're a shining example of what I was talking about, and someone else I can pester with questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts