1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a gunsmith experienced in fixing a botched up rear sight dovetail? I bought a slide from a parts bin, which someone had cut for a MMC sight. The problem: the cut wasn't level perpendicular to the slide and so the sight sits at an angle. My thinking is that it's too far gone to be recut, and has to be rewelded, heat treated, and then cut correctly. Also, does this sound too expensive to fix? Should I call it a loss and buy another slide? Any 'smithy recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
sounds a bit expensive to reweld and re cut. Unless the cut isn't too bad, the smith could do a partial reweld and cut to level.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
How much did you pay for the "parts bin" slide?

How much more do you really want to put into it welding it up and recutting it?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but I'd guess you'll be looking at $125-150 (maybe more) to have that work done by any established smith.

Caspian makes some really nice slides that start at $208 retail - front sight cuts are free currently and rears can run up to ~$52. Or you may try one of the Essex slides from Brownells. Just something to keep in mind. Or, not. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Slide issues

If you think you may have to buy a new slide anyway, here is a possible idea to experiment to try to salvage the slide.

Using a proper sized file, re-level the rear sight base cut by marking the cut with lay-out die or even magic marker, then carefully file the sight-cut until level. You will now have a loose fitting sight. I am not familiar with the rear sight you own, but if you could drill and tap a 6-40 thread through the sight and into the frame, this would help secure the sight. You could also swage the metal around the sight by using a large punch to peen the metal flush with the sight. You may have to remove
tool marks afterwards, but it may be worth trying. If you can swage the metal around the sight-cut flush with the installed sight, you may not need to drill and tap the sight anyway.

If you relevel the sight with files and still don't want to try the above ideas, you could still silver solder the rear sight in place, providing you have an adjustable sight. Both sivler soldering and TIG welding may discolor the slide due to heat.

·
Premium Member
11,642 Posts
I have made custom rear sights to fit oversize sight cuts. I made at least 3 custom BOMAR bases (the part with the dovetail) to fit slides that had been over cut. Depending on how far off/how much cleanup is required to youe sight cut, that might be an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 1911 woes

Reloader: I checked with EGW and they said it can be fixed. Probably will cost about $125 or so and take 4/6 weeks.

Yoshidaex: The botched cut is bad enough. Not only is it cut at an angle (looking from the top of the slide) and not straight across, perpendicular to the slide, but it's cut at a downward cant (looking from the rear, the sight sits high on the left and low on right).

Slopemeno: I think even as big as the Witchita sight is, it would look the same as the sight on there now.

Kevins_garage: $20 for the slide. I know, Caveat emptor.

Richpetrone: The problem wouldn't be so bad if the cut had 1 problem, but not both. Having it cut at a downward cant and also not cut perpendicular to slide gives it a compound angle.

BBBBill: I think the downward cant of the cut, is the real downer. If the problem was only that it had been cut too big, I'd jump at your idea.

I will be calling some more 'smiths on Monday to see what it would cost. Thanks all for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts