1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I installed a Springfield 9mm conversion kit on my GI 45. The problem is, it wont feed properly. The nose of the bullet is hitting the ramp of the barrel chamber. I know I have to take my pistol to a gunsmith. The slide and lock up seems to fit well, but im no pro to really tell if it does. Im no expert here and have little 1911 vocabulary. But what type of job do I ask for? And, most importantly, how much is this type of job going to run me?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Tough part is that a feed ramp for a 9mm is different than a .45..so trying to make it run..could be very frustrating..also you need a different ejector...

are you going to dedicate it to this frame?? trying to get both a .45 and 9mm to run on the same frame will take a little magic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dohc97 said:
Looking at your screen name, are you from the Philippines?
Hey whats up dohc97. Yah im from the Philippines but live in the states right now. Families from Batangas. How about you? From your screen, I take it you have Honda/Acura. hehe Or does that mean something else.

eerw said:
Tough part is that a feed ramp for a 9mm is different than a .45..so trying to make it run..could be very frustrating..also you need a different ejector...

are you going to dedicate it to this frame?? trying to get both a .45 and 9mm to run on the same frame will take a little magic
This will be a dedicated 9mm, sorry I forgot to mention that. I already replaced the ejector as well, with a 9mm.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Dimasalang said:
Well I installed a Springfield 9mm conversion kit on my GI 45. The problem is, it wont feed properly. The nose of the bullet is hitting the ramp of the barrel chamber. I know I have to take my pistol to a gunsmith. The slide and lock up seems to fit well, but im no pro to really tell if it does. Im no expert here and have little 1911 vocabulary. But what type of job do I ask for? And, most importantly, how much is this type of job going to run me?

Do you have the proper .030" gap between the frame ramp and barrel ramp? Is the barrel throated and polished? Is the frame ramp polished?

Sometimes 9mms feed fine off unmodified .45ramps, but if not, the easiest thing to do is get the surfaces polished. If there are still problems, this is normally the frame ramp, must be recontoured a bit as there is significant difference in .45 and 9mm rounds.

What 9mm magazines are you using?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a complete 9mm upper on gunbroker last year. It was a complete top end and also had a Wilson slide stop and 9mm ejector and four magazines. All for $200! I tried the same thing, on a GI model. It was aggravating having half a gun lying around so I got a Caspian frame and had it assembled. Even after assembly and finishing it was still under $500.

Worked for me, could work for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shorts said:
Do you have the proper .030" gap between the frame ramp and barrel ramp? Is the barrel throated and polished? Is the frame ramp polished?

Sometimes 9mms feed fine off unmodified .45ramps, but if not, the easiest thing to do is get the surfaces polished. If there are still problems, this is normally the frame ramp, must be recontoured a bit as there is significant difference in .45 and 9mm rounds.

What 9mm magazines are you using?
The gap does not look right, the frame ramp is forward of the barrel ramp. So I already knew this was going to be a problem even before I tried cycling ammo through the gun. Like I was saying, im a rookie at all this still. How to tell if the barrel is throated or polished?

Also, I am useing the SA 9mm mags, and I have one Colt 9mm mag.

adronicus said:
I bought a complete 9mm upper on gunbroker last year. It was a complete top end and also had a Wilson slide stop and 9mm ejector and four magazines. All for $200! I tried the same thing, on a GI model. It was aggravating having half a gun lying around so I got a Caspian frame and had it assembled. Even after assembly and finishing it was still under $500.

Worked for me, could work for you.

I think I might just try that. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
9mm Fun

I started out trying to shoot a 9mm (wishing to do so , anyways) from my Loaded Parke'd 1911 and then after all the discussion I ended up buying another 1911. I was super lucky since I found an ad for an IMBEL 9mm M973. It was in mint condition and was about $ 400 CDN cheaper than a .45 Loaded Springer.

Now I have both calibers to play with and I did not need or have to modify a wonderfully shooting .45 at all.

By the way, this IMBEL is just fabulous. If you thought the Springfields that IMBEL are made really well, you should see this box stock M973. It's way better than any Springfield I've ever shot. Super well finished internals. I just swapped out the hammer (GI style), round MSH, GI grip safety, and GI safety for some high thumb shooting goodies.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but yes, instead of modifying your .45, just buy another M1911. Who knows if your .45 will shoot as well once you've tweaked it to shoot 9mm's.

Cheers,
Barney

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.