1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my SA back together after cleaning, I have some trouble getting the slide stop back in place. The plunger assembly keeps it from going back into place. For now I have been using the end of a q-tip with the 'fuzz' broke off to push the plunger back enough that I can get the slide stop back in. The guy I bought it from must of had the same problem because there is a nice scratch on the frame from the slide stop. Are they really supposed to be this hard to put back into place or can I do something to make it easier?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would make sure you have lightly lubed the slide stop pin and that part that comes in contact with the plunger. Then once the small half moon circle of the slide stop has entered into its corresponding half hole on the slide (that's a mouthful) then push it some with an upward and slightly left push. That is the trick it is just hard to describe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i have trouble getting it in too. i know what to do but it only takes one slip up... then idiot mark. i did it to my springfield compact, but have managed not to do it to my mil spec. i know its just a matter of time.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
To make things worse, some of the clones have the interior of the spring tunnel machined improperly and/or the plungers machined wrong. The result is that either the plunger extends out too far, preventing installation of the slide stop in the normal way, or does not extend out far enough, allowing the slide stop to malfunction.

These things seem like small details, but all those little details add up to either a properly made and functioning pistol or an expensive piece of unreliable junk.

Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I called my buddy and had him bring his Colt Commander over. Seems that my plunger spring is a 'little' to long! It is putting so much tension on the plunger that it will not budge while trying to install the slide stop. So, should I try and cut the spring down some or mabye just get a new spring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
DO NOT CUT THE SPRING. It's not too likely that the spring is actually too long. If you take the spring out of an older gun it might just appear shorter. If you count the number of coils you'll likely see they were originally the same length, within a coil. If your spring really were too long, by much more than a couple of coils, you probably wouldn't be able to reinstall the thumb safety. Obviously, it all fit before you took it apart, right? ;) The travel of the slide stop plunger is limited by its shape and the matching step in the interior of the plunger tube.

Lay the pistol flat on a towel or mat, left side up. Have the crescent cut on the bottom of the slide aligned with the slide stop lug hole in the frame. Insert the pin portion of the slide stop in through the frame and barrel link. To picutre the proper position, look from the rear of the frame. The rounded portion of the rear part of the slide stop should contact the plunger pin at about ten o'clock, then apply pressure to the slide stop toward four o'clock.

Kent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts