1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had colt defender 3dot sights put on my early model colt 1911. After getting the gun back from the smith, it is shooting really high (about 4" at 15yds).
My question is: When you set the gun upside-down on a flat surface like a table so that the gun is resting on its sights, does it sit perfectly parallel with the table or is the gun angeled in any way? On mine the rear sight is quite a bit higher than the hight if the front sight causing the gun to be slightly canted downward. Is this normal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He also fitted and polished my barrel. Do you think this might have changed the POI? Is this a barrel fit or sight problem?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,422 Posts
In general, the rear sight will be a little higher than the front (that is, the top of the slide will not be parallel to the surface that the upside-down gun is resting on). If the gun is shooting high, then the front sight is obviously too short for your chosen rear sight.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hi Rick,
Sounds like your sights are properly positioned for a normal barrel fit. However, fitting a barrel will definitely change your impact point...which way depends on how the barrel was fit by the 'smith. If the barrel fit is good, you'll need either a taller front or shorter rear sight. No other option I know of for a gun shooting that much off.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Actually comparing the top of the slide to the sight plane is a generalization because the barrel plane is unknown.Find a snug fitting wooden dowel to slide in the barrel.Flip the gun upside down and set on a table.The table is your sight plane and the dowel is the bore plane.As is,the dowel should point up away from the table,or in a normal shooting position,the bore should point down toward the ground as your sights are on target.Basically,this is the way centerfire handgun sights are set up.What Mr. Brown and Rick said is the fix no matter what.

[This message has been edited by rex (edited 09-17-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts