1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am detail stripping my Kimber Custom Royal and I am now putting it back together and I am ready to put the thumb safety back on but I can't get it to go in all the way. I push the plunger in and it will go about 90% of the way and that is all the further I can push it in. The hammer is straight up and down; not sure if that makes a difference. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
The hammer should be all the way back, past full cock, with no spring tension on it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
812 Posts
As Jim said, hammer back . Install the safety in the up position almost full on with the hammer cocked . I use a Q tip with the head cut off to push the detent into the plunger tube (behind the safety)while pushing in on the safety at the same time. Remove the Q tip while pushing in on the safty at the same time to seat the safety to the frame . A little finesse is needed. And only a slight amount of pressure is needed. Should drop right in. Any other suitable tool may be used to depress the safety detent but try not to scratch anything. Try it a few times without the safety detent(remove it from the plunger tube and try to install it and remove it a few times. Then install it back in the plunger tube{small end in first} before you are ready for final assembly)

Good luck , Hope this helps,and ask if you have any questions...ROFI

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, You say the hammer should be in full cock with no tension. How do I do that. When I pull the hammer back it wants to snap forward. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thunder, how far in disassembly did you take it? If you've removed your sear & disconnector, you may not have put them back in correctly, because else the sear would catch the hammer and hold it back in full cock position.

Is there tension on the hammer? (i.e., Did you put the hammer strut back in the gun?)

You may want to give the forum's readers a little bit more color on what you did to the pistol to begin with....don't worry, though....these guys (not including myself) can fix anything via the Internet!!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
The sear should hold the hammer back, the mainspring housing should not be installed.

Position the MSH about half way out to hold the sear spring in place, make sure the hammer strut is down but not touching the MSH, insert the grip safety and then the thumb safety. With the hammer at full cock, put the thumb safety in the "on safe" position and start to work in in to place.

You do it a few times and it will be natural.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help. I had the mainspring in wrong. I took one of my other pistols and "slowly" diassembled it and saw what I had wrong. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts