1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1911 which is 100% reliable. The problem is that about one out of five reloads the top round hangs on the feed ramp when I release the slide from slidelock. To clear it I only have to slightly pull back on the slide and release. Never had this happen while shooting. Federal Eagle and IMI ammo both did this. The chamber and breechface are clean.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
First off, what kind of 1911 is it?

I'm suspecting magazine problem. What kind of magazine are you using? I only trust Wilson or McCormick's. :)
Also, if you are using shock buff's, try taking it out and see if the problem goes away. Those things can shorten slide cycle and cause a jam like you're having.
Lastly, how new is the gun? Some times things like this disappear on their own after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im using factory 230 FMJ, no shock buff, Fairly new Wilson 8 rounders.
It has happened with two separate mags.

It has approx 500 rounds through it, 400 after being chromed.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If you replace the followers in those 2 mags, I suspect the problem will go away. I'd use something like the Metalforms with the rounded followers, but you'll no longer have 8-round mags.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The feedramp is smooth but not mirror like. Can I polish the chromed ramp without ruining the chrome?

The mags are good in three other 1911's but Ill try new followers in a couple.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yes you can. Be very careful because the chrome is probably only about .0002 thick. It doesn't have to be mirrored either...just remove any roughness that your fingernail can detect and then polish to your liking.

Bob

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Do the polishing first before replacing those followers, Wilson's supposed to be the best of the bunch. Also, keep on using those mags, or leave them loaded for a day or two. Some mags needs break-in too ya now! ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The magazine follower has no affect except on the last round being fed so this is not the problem. What you are having is a classic nose dive. If your mags are fairly new, leave them fully loaded to relax the springs, heavier springs will make the situation worse. The 8 round magazines do this most often because of the extra spring tension when fully loaded. You can check this by loading 7 rounds, the problem will probably be gone. The magazine may be sitting too low in the frame, check with the slide off. A worn magazine catch will let the magazine sit too low. Many times nose dives are a combination of the above problems combined with a rough or not fully cut feed ramp. Also some ammo is not crimped properly and allows the bullet to set back causing a missfeed. You can polish the hard chrome, use a dremel with felt bob and flitz or something similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts