1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a springfield TRP (old model) I've shot about 9000 rnds on this gun mostly 200 gr.SWC lead. I recently switched to 230 gr.RN plated bullets by west coast bullets in Nevada. Since then, i've been having occasional FTF even on the first rd to charge the chamber. I also have some failure to eject. The brass is just partially extracted from the chamber. I also noted that the feed ramp gets "dull" looking after only 100 rnds. I never had problems when using SWCs. My reloaded bullets are within specs. OAL is 1.260" and crimp is .470. I tried different lengths and even polishing the feed ramp and barrel throat to mirror finish but again after a couple of rounds, the ramp looks dull right away. Is this a common problem with copper plated bullets? Any suggestions? Thanks

Jag

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would back off the OAL to 1.250-1.255 I consider 1.260 max lenght for L-RN or FMC Ball ammo It can vary from gun to gun but I think that might help. Also try a different Mag if OAL Change is no help.

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 11-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Can you describe the FTF and ejection problem a bit more. I having trouble visualizing what your seeing.

As for OAL, I recently measured several factory 230 gr ball cartridges and every one was at 1.265. The manufactures I checked out were, Federal American Eagle, Federal Govt overrun, PMC, CCI Lawman.

·
Registered
766 Posts
10Ring I agree I have also measured Factory ammo and you are correct in you OAL measurements and that is also why Wilson Says Factory Ball ammo is the toughest load to get to feed reliably in a .45 He recommends and OAL of no more 1.250 to 1.260 (1.255 being the best OAL) here's a link with Wilson's recommend ammo specs
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/important.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The round usually hits the roof of the chamber and fails to feed. This happens mostly on the first round when you want to load the chamber. Regarding the ejetion, the brass remain on the chamber even after the bullet has been discharged. The fresh rd. will not feed bec. of the brass still on the chamber. i went to the range today and shot 150 rnds of 200gr. LSWC w/o any malfunctions. i tried different bullet lengths w/o any good results. Are plated bullets soft enough to bind on the roof of the chamber causing it not to slide inside? Is it soft or hard enough to cause dullness on the feed ramp? Need help. i'm already getting disappointed and thinking of selling all my 230 gr. plated bullets. Thanks.

Jag

jag

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just purchased a new springfield 45 and have a similar problem that Jag is having with the round hitting the roof of the slide and not feeding properly when releasing the slide stop. I have tried 5 different brands of ammo (4 round ball and 1 flat nose)and all but the flat nose did this. I know if any should have locked up the slide, it should have been the flat nose. However, I did notice that if I pull back on the slide just a bit, the back of the round raises and when the slide is released, the round feeds.

Does this sound like it could be more of a mag problem than a gun problem??

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with you guys that it coulc be an OAL problom. Gonna guess it's not extractor hang-up since you fired put so many 200 SWC rounds through it successfully. If it fed those it dang well should feed the LRN's.... if ever there will be a feeding prob though it is more and not less likely to ocurr when feeding the top round of a full mag (that's how I test fire for reliability; insert full mag, drop slide to chamber a round, eject mag and top it off, fire a round, eject mag and top it off, repeat and repeat).

I think it's gotta be something with the ammo, but the standard magazine advice is always apropriate: use Wilson-Rodgers magazines. Pretty much any mag ought to do you well with LRN's, but a guy ought to have W-R's in any case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just one more thing, not all RN bullets have the same profile, a blunt (1 radius) bullet may like a shorter OAL (I load Lee's cast 230 LRN sized .452" at about 1.236"), and a bullet with the more usual 2R profile may like the normal 1.250" to 1.265".

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ned has a good idea with the Wilson/Rodgers Magazine. If you can get your hands on one try it. They have solved many feeding problems as described here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I have a similar problem as Jag using FMJ with my new SA on the 1st round hitting the roof of the slide locking it open. Another thing is Jag's SWC are similar in shape as the Flat Nose I shot without any failures. Figure that one out.

I took my SA over to a friend of mine who is a gunsmith and he's checking out the problem. When I get the SA back from him, I'll post the findings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tried a different mag and it seemed to have done better but I didn't shoot enough rounds with it to say it solved the problem.

[This message has been edited by nknight (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Another thing to try is to lightly polish the barrel throat at the top where the bullet nose is hanging. Use some #600 paper and oil on a round tool and polish it mirror smooth. Also, gently round over the top of the feed ramp where the angle changes and it goes into the throat. That will slightly lower the bullet feed angle and take some pressure off the top of the barrel throat when the round feeds in. I will bet that fixes the problem (it fixed my Para which did the same thing).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts