1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to use 200gr. LSWC without any problems with feeding even w/o cleaning after 400 rnds. I recently switched to plated bullets (TMJ? from west coast) and now having feeding problems after 100 rnds. I'm using 230 gr. RN with 5.4 gr. of W231. Ive noticed that when the feed ramp gets dirty, failure to feed happens. I never had this problem with lead w/c is supposed to be dirtier than copper plated bullets. Also, i noticed that the feed ramp is now dull looking(used to be really shiny even thousands of rounds of lead bullets). Ive only used about 600 rnds and some scratches were noticeable on the feed ramp
Is this normal when using copper bullets? it is supposed to be softer than the metal right?
Anybody with experience with plated bullets from West coast?
Any suggestions to prevent this FTF? I also had 1 failure to eject. What is the usual cause of this?

Thanks .
Jag

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
For proper diagnostics, please provide:

1. Overall length used;
2. Crimp, i.e., diameter at case mouth of loaded round; and
3. Did you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die?

BTW, the answers are as follows:

1. Around 1.260";
2. .469"-.471"; and
3. YES!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fremont. OAL is 1.265" and crimp is .471" . Yes i am using Lee factory crimp die.

Jag

·
Registered
417 Posts
When you say "west coast," that's still a lot of territory. A few years ago, I got some copper plated 230 g. FMJ from an outfit in Oregon. I don't remember the particulars.

I wasn't especially impressed with the stuff, but I never had any feed problems that I didn't create myself from reloading errors, and the only evidence to the gun was a thin copper residue on the feedramp. The residue didn't affect performance in any way.

Thinking back on it, the only thing I didn't like about the bullets was the barrel cleaning hassle. Getting the copper out of the bore was a little more difficult than cleaning lead out of the bore, but was done with a bronze bore brush, sometimes backed with some bore cleaner made to get copper residue out.

I used them for a few months for no other reason than they were cheaper than FMJ from the usual manufacturers. I stopped when the local stores stopped selling them. Too small a demand.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the link, Kansas. When I tried it (Sat. morning about 0800 west coast time), I got a "Cannot find server" error message. I edited the link to .com, got to a cover page, clicked on the link there, and went to the same place.

Will try again later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts