1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old series 80 colt govt recently started to FTF after about 5 yrs and 6000 rds. So I used that as an excuse to buy a purty new xse govt...and it has the same jams!!! Round just starts into chamber and stops after about 1/4" generally only does this on first and second rds. off the top of the mag but will sometimes happen later in the mag. also does this when dropping the slide from lock on full mag or when you insert full mag w/slide in battery and rack the slide to chamber a rd. replaced my extractor w/ wilson bullet proof and set tension...also rebuilt all my mags (all colt factory 8 rnds.) w/wilson springs and followers. Please help. I know i should send it to a 1911'smith but I just got it and don't wanna lose it for a month. Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by burf151:
...replaced my extractor w/ wilson bullet proof and set tension...
Welcome to the forum burf. Do you know how to check for correct extractor tension? If you do, that's good. If you're not sure, then your description of your FTF's sounds like incorrect extractor tension to me.

You didn't mention if your ammo is handloads or not. Could also be a too long OAL.

Is your chamber clean? Is the breechface nice and smooth?

How old is your recoil spring? You may want to go up a notch in rating as well (ie. 16 lb. to 18 1/2 lb.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
Another thing to consider is only loading 7 rounds in your 8 round mags. It's worth a try and very cheap to boot.

------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
I too didn't notice any mention of Ammo.

You mention upgrading the mags... Curious, since most of the failures might be mag related, how many different mags have been tried in both guns. I am assuming that both guns have the same failure, with the same mags.

Back to ammo... Is it Factory, Reloads? Have you tried other ammo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Burf,

I'd do some more checking before I sent the gun off to a smith. 80% of my FTF's are ammo related -- too long or too short an OAL, improper crimping, bad cases, dirty ammo, or bullet types or ammo that my gun just doesn't like. The other 20% are related to improper extractor tension or bad mags.

You can rule out any ammo problems by taking all the ammo you will shoot that day and drop-check them into a CLEAN barrel. The bullets should sit even or slightly under the hood of the barrel. Any bullets that extend beyond the barrel hood may not feed.

I would shoot a while and if the problem starts again, take out the dirty barrel and again drop check some rounds in it. Some ammo is so dirty that it affects feeding after only a few rounds.

If the bullets still drop nicely into the barrel I'd look at extractor tension. Too much extractor tension can cause the problem you're describing.

Lastly, try some different mags. Also, you might want to lightly polish the feed ramp and maybe lightly polish the inside of the barrel chamber. If none of these work, off to the smith.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
try this
with the round that stops. take a blade and scratch the top of the case, unload the gun
look for a couple things.
A crease on the bottom of the case (possibly the top where the chamber meets the throat
needs rolling a LITTLE)
rim in firing pin hole (could use a polish)
gouge from extractor digging in ( extractor tension, sharp bottom corner, too close to bolt face)

hope this helps
geo ><>
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top