1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun performs flawlessly with my normal load of a cast 230 g RN and 700x @ 820 fps.

I tried a new load and the slide release lever is working its way out of the gun. Sometimes it will come all the way out after firing this load.

6.4 g of Unique
Starline brass
230 g Fed. Hydra-shock
1.210 O.A.L.
850 fps through the crony.

The slide release lever came out repetedly. I also had some feeding troubles. Bullets would hang before feeding, on the feed ramp. I then tried the normal RN load again, no prob.

The gun is a Colt 1911 MFG in 1918. I don't think the feed ramp has ever been modified so I can understand the HP's giving it feeding troubles.

Question # 1

Why is the slide release lever comming out?

Question #2

To solve the feeding trouble should I go shorter or longer on the O.A.L.?

Help me out guys. I wanna shoot some HP's !

·
Registered
366 Posts
My first guess would be the OAL is too short. There needs to be sufficient length to impact the barrel hood upon feeding. You might try posting this also in the gunsmithing area. There are some real gurus residing there who could give you more definitive information on both of your concerns.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It's possible that the bullet nose is to blame. I had the same problem when I one time switched from a SWC nose to a RNFP.

The OAL sounds right to me. (I've not heard about the need to hit the bullet hood before, though....)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
What kind of hold are you using on your gun? Is there a chance that your weak hand is touching the rounded end of the slide stop that protrudes out the other side of the frame? You may be pushing the slide stop out during cycling???

I also agree that your load may be on the short side. Try around 1.225 - 1.240.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Longer is about all you can try short of having the thing throated. I don't think anyone would recommend that.

I'm going to now give unasked for advice and suggest you stick with your reliable LRN load. If you price HPs and then notice how they make the same hole in paper, you may see where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
76 Posts
David, Its the HP, try 1.250 and a Wilson 7rd. Mag. Don't know if you want to throat it or keep it stock. The 230 RN will work for whatever you want to do with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just checked the shelves, and my 230 HP's are loaded to 1.230" and they've fed in everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts