1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have access to Federal, R.P & Independence once fired @ $50.00 to my door. which is best?

im told that federal brass is softer when i comes to rifle brass

or should i go with winny brass, once fired @$69/1000

edited>>> for .45 acp brass

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
biglou,

If we're talking about rifle brass, I have nothing to offer as I don't reload any rifle calibers.

If we're talking about handgun brass, I have an opinion based only on my experience. I consider Federal brass very good brass, R-P brass pretty good brass, and Independence brass as "shoot it and leave it" brass. Also, I put Winchester brass in the same catagory as R-P brass.

I'll reload & shoot anything but AMERC.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have reloaded a few rifle rounds.. I think the Federal brass is good but it seems like the Winchester is better to me... I think the Fedral cases split faster more so with hot loads than Winchester in rifle rounds... I cant speak for Nickle brass..
As far as pistol brass i love Winchester but for the price id use Remington 1st the Federal 2nd .
IMHO Winchester is #1, RP#2, FED#3
My FIL swears by Winchester and Hornady he has been reloading for 30 years..
My vote has to go to Winchester for quality, Value and durablity...
Edited 415

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd take the Federal brass. I've got Fed. stuff from way back, that I'm still using. I always had problems with the R-P stuff years ago. I've loaded the "I" brass in 45 acp several time thus far have had no problems with it.

Contrary to what I've seen posted, I've had very good performance from Federal rifle brass as well as W-W. The necks on the R-P wanted to split alot sooner than either of the other two. Hornady brass is also excellent. You'll get some bad ones in any brand if you shoot enough.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Biglou would you care to let us know where to get that Winchester brass for 69.00 1k? Thats a good price.. Or even the Fedral Or RP..

biglou13 said:
i have access to Federal, R.P & Independence once fired @ $50.00 to my door. which is best?

im told that federal brass is softer when i comes to rifle brass

or should i go with winny brass, once fired @$69/1000

edited>>> for .45 acp brass

·
Registered
651 Posts
Once fired Winchester .45ACP

I like Winchester once fired Winchester .45 ACP, since I get it from the local SWAT team.
Chief

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The .45 is such a low pressure load that about the only brass I won't reload is AMERC. Go with whatever is cheaper. Plus I get lots of freebie range pickups.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brasss source

"brass is segregated by headstamp, I have Federal, R.P & Independence at
> this time. It is clean, (tumbled) packaged in lots of 500, but not
> deprimed.it is available for $100.00 per 2k shipped. I
>> do
>> accept personal checks, money orders or paypal if the buyer pays the 3%
>> fee."

you can contact him @ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
gandog56 said:
The .45 is such a low pressure load that about the only brass I won't reload is AMERC. Go with whatever is cheaper. Plus I get lots of freebie range pickups.
+1 Only reason A-MERC gets thrown away by me, is because the primer pockets tend to be too big, and primers fall out. Everything else gets loaded with no regard for headstamp.

·
Registered
672 Posts
gandog56 said:
ditto on what he said. avoid AMERC like the plague. Throw it in your scrap bucket and sell it for scrap one day.

Other than that, I would suggest buying brass only if you have nowhere to pick it up. Some folks don't like range brass, but I have never had any problems with it.

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have to go with RP. I've used all of the brands you mentioned and like the RP best of all. It might be that is what I (over the years) have accumalated but I like it much better than Winchester. I don't have alot of Federal but do like it. For me the thing I don't like about Win rifle brass is their crimp, it reloads just fine but (to me) looks ugly, and after safety I'm am all about the bling. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts