1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
It was hard enough doing the research to come up with the perfect leather holster (I've decided on Wild Bill Speed Scabbard) now I have one more decision to make. Single or Double mag pouch? I know you guys would ask: whadda planning on using it for? Well, it's for a full size Kimber, at the moment just for fun at the range, but I think USPSA is not too far off in the future. Are these the right gear for such purpose? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'd suggest single mag pouches in however many multiples you need. They can be spaced around belt loops easier than doubles and there may be times you only want to carry a single reload... or three! I know it's more expensive this way, but there are strong benefits that you may find justify the cost.

Mac

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
if you plan on shooting IPSC in the near future, buy the single mag pouch, that are adjustable, I use the safariland Mod. 771. this will allow you to adjust them to your reloading style. if cost is a factor, get 3 singles for the front of your belt, and a double for the rear.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I bought a quality single from Sparks and liked it. Then I found that I was often carrying a second mag in a pocket somewhere. I thought double mag pouches would be too big. Then I saw my buddy carried two Glock double stack mags in a mag pouch just fine for concealment.

I would suggest buying two singles or one single and one double. You can opt to carry just one spare or two with two singles. The advantage of the second single is that you can carry on mag on each side. This was a suggested tactic we we taught at Thunder Ranch for those of us who cannot reach all the way around with the opposite hand and extract mags. The idea is that if one arm is injured, you can still reach a spare mag on either side. It is a bit of paranoid overkill, but makes sense.

When going to practice, I sometimes wear my double and single together. Just like I have never thought I owned too many magazine or too many guns, I doubt that owning two mag pouches will seem to be too many either and you will be able to use them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Go with one single-mag puch and one double-mag pouch. I wear both for range work, and the double for concealed carry. Sometimes, I wear both if I'm really "in the wrong part of town."

Here is a little guiding principle I tell my students:No one ever seems to have a problem carrying one mag. So carry two-you are only adding about two more inches to the bulk.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I like the double because I like more ammo.And it is just as easy to conceal as the single. There is nothing to loose by having 1 more mag

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the double mag pouches that I've handled spaced the magazines too close together, making it difficult, if not impossible, to obtain a proper drawing grip on either magazine. I imagine that this could be remedied by offsetting each magazine at a slight angle to increase to space between them without making the holster physically larger, and I've seen some designs like this but have never actually handled any, so I can't comment. Also, be sure the double pouch is designed to carry both magazines "bullet forward." I've seen many that are designed to carry the two magazines back to back, which doesn't work too well if you've been trained for speed reloads/tactical reloads, etc.

For daily carry, I personally use a single mag pouch 99% of the time and feel completely comfortable with this. If money isn't a factor, I would get one of each. Use the single for daily carry and the double for the range or when you plan on being in "those parts of town," as was stated above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts