1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was ready to pull the trigger on my first 1911 and then I found some good deals on a few Kimbers..Heres my situation I was looking at the SA-Loaded Black Stainless Target but then I ran up on the Kimber Custom TLE II and I really liked it as well. This is where I need the help of those in the know remember I'm new to this platform so all opinions/suggestions are welcome...Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I can't offer an opinion on a Springer because I don't own one but I do have a Custom TLE II that I bought about a year and a half ago. I couldn't be happier.

I now have 5000 rounds through it and it's been flawless from the git go. Not one problem. It's my primary range shooter and I also use it for carry along with my other 1911's.

One of the reasons I chose the TLE was that LAPD SWAT picked it for duty carry because of it's quality and reliability. Also, I knew that Kimber's customer service department was excellent. From what I've read on this forum, the Springer CS folks are excellent also.

I like the way the TLE looks, the way it shoots, and the way it feels in my hand.

IMHO, the TLE is a great value for the money. It just keeps on tickin'.

So maybe your decision boils down to how it feels and which one looks better to you.

Good Luck and let us know what you choose, and welcome to the Forum! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Springfield

I am a little biased towards Springfield Armory, I own two of them and they are great guns, they also do alot to support competition shooting, and have an excellent reputation for customer service. That being said the Kimbers are fine pistols as well, and honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Which one do you like the best?

Robin

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Which one?

I own both a springer and a kimber--like them both about equally.

Get the one that you like the feel and looks of. You're the one that will be shooting it for a long time.

Aw heck it's only money -- get both!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I own both and switch back and forth for carry. Depends what models we're talking about as to wich I'd pick. The Swartz passive safety (activated by the grip safety) in the II models, plastic main spring housing and paying for shipping for warranty work is my con for Kimber. The (ILS) internal locking system (to lock the trigger when not in use should you decide), the non standard firing pin-.9mm/.38 super type and being made in So. America is my con with Springfield. The Springfield or Kimber would be a good gun overall and with some final touches are a great gun.:rock:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a Springfield Loaded Champion and it has been flawless since day one! :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I own an older Springer, a Series 1 Kimber and a S&W SW1911. Of the three I recommend the S&W for the fit, finish, and a truly wonderful trigger. Not to mention the lifetime warranty and the best customer service of the three. But there is one more thing that I prefer and that is the undercut trigger guard. The place where the trigger guard meets the grip. The S&W has no extra meat there, while the the springer has a hefty chunk of metal forcing your "expressive" finger to sit lower. As a result of the undercut the S&W sits lower in the hand.

My second choice would be the Springer Loaded. It's a fine pistol, has a lifetime warranty and the second best (still excellent!) customer service. The fit and finish (in general) is a tad lower than that of the S&W and in general the trigger is a couple of pounds heavier. But like the S&W they tent to be dead reliable right from the box. A fine choice.

I'l less than enthralled with Kimbers. They do make pretty pistols but they aren't backed by much of a warranty and my experience with their customer service was less than stellar. QC and finish appear hit or miss. You may get a great one and fall in love. Or you may not... But you don't have much of a warranty backing you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Personal preference only, but I like the original Colt/Browning design (no firing pin safety). Also, no visible foreign markings and no MIM (metal injection molded) parts. This limits model selection greatly and causes me to favor the Dan Wesson models or the Colt Series 70 reproductions. Except for the undeniable attraction of the Colt brand, the DW is probably the most satisfactory right out of the box, needing virtually no modifications and having a good, creep-free trigger.

Second choice would be the SA, although they have Brazilian frames (good quality, though) and usually need a little trigger work to be truly creep-free. The overall appearance of the SA is very business-like. The Kimbers are OK, but have a logo that is a little too flowery for me and is FULL of MIM parts, although of good quality. Then there is that Kimber firing pin safety.

It's like vehicles and such, individual tastes vary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts