1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am undecided between 2 totally different guns: A p226 .40S&W in all stainless or the regular black nitron and an Ed Brown special forces.
I know they are 2 totally different guns in 2 totally different calibers, but I just want your opinion on what you would get if you had to decide.
This will be a range and HD pistol. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I thought about it for a while and ended it up ordering the Ed brown. I posted it down below, but figured I should edit the original post seeing as how most people only read the original post.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am undecided between 2 totally different guns: A p226 .40S&W in all stainless or the regular black nitron and an Ed Brown special forces.
I know they are 2 totally different guns in 2 totally different calibers, but I just want your opinion on what you would get if you had to deciding.
This will be a range and HD pistol. Thanks in advance.
Just my 2 cents, I would go with the Sig. I feel the Ed Brown`s guns are a bit pricey for what you get. I would look into a Kimber custom shop 1911 first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my 2 cents, I would go with the Sig. I feel the Ed Brown`s guns are a bit pricey for what you get. I would look into a Kimber custom shop 1911 first.
I had a kimber, but just sold it because I wanted to get either the sig or the ed brown.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Ed Brown, its a 1911 :rock:. This has got to be a trick question :biglaugh:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would go with the Brown. First, I am just not a fan on the .40 S&W for some reason. Sig has had some quality control issues lately from what I have been reading. The Brown is going to do nothing but increase in value. Plus, it should be a requirement that every red-blooded American male own at LEAST one 1911! I guess you could start off with a less expensive 1911, but if you are like me, you are just postponing the inevitable.

·
Registered
838 Posts
After more thought forget the sig unless it is a 1911 which it is not. I think for the money of a Ed Brown You could get a nicer 1911.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
A general rule of thumb is to pick your platform and then decide on the caliber. I have the greatest respect for Sigs, but I sold mine because they just don't fit my hand. That's why I chose a 1911 for my carry and HD gun of choice.

This question is totally subjective and can only be answered by you. You have chosen two excellent guns.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd get a sig 1911 over a sig 226 .... I love sao, heck a sig 220 in sao would be better IMO. Thought about those?

·
Registered
838 Posts
A general rule of thumb is to pick your platform and then decide on the caliber. I have the greatest respect for Sigs, but I sold mine because they just don't fit my hand. That's why I chose a 1911 for my carry and HD gun of choice.

This question is totally subjective and can only be answered by you. You have chosen two excellent guns.
Very well put.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like everyone is picking the brown over the sig. I will definitely think about it, but i'm leaning more towards the brown. Thanks for the help guys. If anyone else has anymore opinions please put in your 2 cents.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I carried a Sig P220 .45 on duty for a number of years. We also issued the Sig P226 in 9mm. In my opinion they are overpriced and don't hold a candle to a well built 1911 like the Ed Brown.

Sigs are reliable when kept lubed and are durable, which I kind of find amazing if you've ever taken one apart. They are a testament to German engineering that something that complex would work as well as they do.

The DA trigger is heavy and long but fairly smooth. The SA is OK, but not great.

I would never spend my money on one. If not a 1911, I'd look at Glock or SW M&P. Either of those is a better pistol and better value than a Sig IMHO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know this is kind of late, but just wanted to let you guys know that I ended up ordering the Ed Brown Special Forces. However, I might get the sig later on. haha. Nothing wrong with getting another gun I like right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would pick the Ed Brown. I'm not a huge fan of .40sw and I really don't like da/sa triggers. That's just my opinion, the real decision is going to come down to what you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts