1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was given the Colt slide shown in the attached pictures. Yes I know it has not been taken care of, but it is my hope and desire to bring it back to life.

Can anyone help to identify a possible date range of when it may have been manufactured?

Unfortunately the previous owner is unable to locate the receiver. Any suggestions of where I can obtain one to finish out the project?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
It is a GI replacement slide made by Colt either before or during World War Two. It wasn't originally used on a pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DSK. I'm curious, how can you tell that it is a replacement slide not originally used on a pistol?

Just trying to gain a little knowledge :)

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Replacement slides were marked "M1911A1 US ARMY" on the RH side and were made by all the contractors except Singer. Only Ithaca ever used them in their normal production (and only a small number), which is why we call them "double-stamp" Ithacas. Otherwise all pistols made from 1938 through 1945 had unmarked slides on the RH side.

·
Premium Member
15,367 Posts
Colt replacement barrels are not usually seen. It has a barrel and bushing so the assumption is it also has a firing pin and extractor. Finding a frame is not going to be easy. There have been others recently who had a nice slide and wanted to make a pistol out of it - it's just not economically feasible. A bare frame is usually at least $600. Once you find and buy all the frame parts then have the frame and slide Parkerized, you could be into it for $1000, for which you could have bought a very nice Arsenal rebuild, then sold your parts to help pay for it.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Colt replacement barrels are not usually seen.
I assume you meant slide, not barrel. It must be National Brain Fart Day today. :hrm:

:D

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
With the lack of finish and the surface freckling I wouldn't expect it to go for more than a couple hundred bucks, but then again I've seen some pretty crazy things with GI parts on auction. The barrel and bushing are unknown at this time so I have no clue what they would be worth.

And by the way I just noticed the half-moon front sight, which narrows the time frame down to pre-1943.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts