1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I wanted to purchase a new Thunder Ranch Special - with the following modifications :

-No front cocking serrations

-Vertically serrated, flat mainspring housing (Blue)

-Three hole (Black) trigger , like the SRP

-(Black) hammer , like the SRP

-(Blue) grip screws

Whats the best way to achieve this ?

Should I see if I can special order it, or should I buy a stock TRS and send it back to Mr. Baer and have him mod it to my specs ?

If having it special ordered is the way to go: Do I place my order with Les Baer directly or do I contact "Crazy John at Proload", everyone seems to speak highly of him ?

Also, What do you think it would cost to have this gun special ordered vs. Having the work done after manufacture ? I know a new stock TRS can be had for 1800 or so.

I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this, Thanks

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I'd contact John at Proload with your questions. For sure, he'll be able to answer your questions regarding the shortest path to get what you want.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
John would probably have the TRS without FCS. Then you could send it to Baer and have them put the trigger and hammer and screws in and you'd be done. If ordered, it might take 6-8 weeks or longer. Call Proload Monday and you'll have the answers...............TW

·
Registered
377 Posts
John would probably have the TRS without FCS. Then you could send it to Baer and have them put the trigger and hammer and screws in and you'd be done. If ordered, it might take 6-8 weeks or longer. Call Proload Monday and you'll have the answers...............TW

I agree, this is the best route if you don't want to wait.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I don't know that it will take 23 weeks. Yeah, it used to, as I bought a custom Stinger that took every bit of that. But I ordered a custom PII on 4 October and it'll be here Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Les Baer does not tend to keep much stock on hand when it comes to 1911s, when a dealer places an order it still is 'built to order' with a 4-8 week lead time.

For this reason I believe you are far better off to place an order with a dealer and have the options you wanted either added or deleted from the start. You still only wait once, but you do not pay twice.

You as an individual can order direct through Baer and do a transfer with a FFL, the upside to this is you deal with your custom order one on one with Baer, the downside is cost.

This route can cost you more in the long run, with the right Baer dealer you CAN get the gun cheaper by going through them than by going straight to the factory.

If you need additional information or help with you order please feel free to contact me.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Step 1. Buy TRS w/FCS from Proload.
Step 2. Buy hammer, trigger, and MSH.
Step 3. Look on youtube for installation instructions, or bring TRS to local smith for parts changes. (couple of hours worth of work shouldn't take 4 months out of your life)
Step 4. Install the screws yourself.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another thing you might want to consider:

Several Baer owners have said that they thought the final overall fit and finish on their special-ordered Baer was just a bit better than on a comparable off-the-shelf Baer. May be worth considering (with a grain of salt), if you can spare a little wait-time.

My PII was slightly used, and I got a great price, but if I were willing to buy brand-new for full-price, I would DEFINITELY special-order it exactly the way I wanted it through Crazy John at Proload. It seems that John has extra powers and goes the extra mile for you if there are ever any issues with the pistol (He can make things happen that the buyer of a single pistol can't since he buys hundreds, and also seems to have a special relationship with Les Baer). Not to mention that he also gives you the best price on a new Baer. His advice and store of Baer-knowledge is considerable, not easily matched, and freely given. I think it is likely that a pistol custom-ordered from Baer through Crazy John at Proload will be well worth the wait (and quite possibly better than a comparable off-the-shelf Baer).

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advise guys. I guess my next move will be to call Crazy John and see what we can work out. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts