1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in when Life hands you lemons! Long story short, I ended up with too much money in an old aluminum framed Para Arms P14-45 that I have no earthly use for. Very reliable with 150 rounds of 230 grain ball, 50 rounds of some old 200 grain Double Tap HPs and even a 150 rounds of Speer 200 grain GAP (yeah, I know! But it was cheap!)
My “duty” days are long gone and I have no need for a double stack CCW. At my age and declining skill set, if I haven’t finished things with ten rounds of 9x23, I am probably leaving in a body bag.
So: the question of what to do with this thing? Just sell it makes way too much sense so here is what I came up with. Would love some feedback and suggestions if you thing this won’t work.
I have an RIA 22TCM slide with 22 TCM and 9mm barrels fitted by Dustin, and an old Ciener 22 conversion kit I modified to fit a 38/9mm ejector. My plan is to:
  • Remove the series 80 safety parts in the frame using the shim.
  • Install a 38/9 ejector on the Para frame.
  • Remove the Series 80 safety parts in the Para 45 slide.
  • Cut the Para 45 slide for the width of the 38/9 ejector.
  • Install a flat bottom (small radius) FPS on the Para 45 slide.
  • Install an 18 pound mainspring.
I should end up with a range toy with three top ends and four calibers: 22RF, 22TCM, 9mm and 45 ACP. I have an extra Para 45 barrel, so I may even use that to install a hard shim and cut a real 45GAP chamber.
I am assuming the 45ACP and 45 GAP will function with an 18 pound recoil spring, using the flat bottom FPS with an 18 pound mainspring. Also assuming that the 22TCM will function with its large radius FPS, eighteen pound mainspring and eight pound recoil spring. The 9mm gets a twelve pound recoil spring. The Ciener has its own recoil spring and should enjoy the reduced main spring.
So what can go wrong???

·
Registered
22,100 Posts
The Ciener has its own recoil spring and should enjoy the reduced main spring.
So what can go wrong???
A .22 will not "enjoy" a reduced mainspring. Rimfires generally take a harder whack to ignite than centerfires. I went 'round and 'round with a Colt Conversion on a Gold Cup. By the time I got to a Kadet Conversion on a CZ, I knew just to put the stock mainspring back in to replace the soft one that was fine with 9mm.

I suggest a very radiused firing pin stop if it does not function with the GI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got the ria 1911a2 combo gun in .22tcm/9mm. Multical sounds good in theory but I never swap in the 9mm barrel. It's fantastic in 9mm, I just slightly prefer the .22 tcm so I never change it. Nice to have the 9mm barrel and spring as backup but it's not getting the use it deserves and probably never will at least until I'm gone. I went the other route and just bought an additional 1911 to run 9mm. I wouldn't start cutting on the slide. There's only a scarce few Paras left on gb nowadays to fight over. Somebody out there would love it as it is myself included

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. I have never had much luck building multi caliber guns, better to tune everything for the proper cartridge. But somehow the idea always pops up in my head.
Jim Watson, you make a good point about the lighter mainspring and rimfires. Ciener has a 22RF magazine for the widebodies for about $50. Before I cut anything, I will try the Ciener top on the Para frame with an 18 pound mainspring and see what an assortment of 22RFs will do. I KNOW the 22TCM won't work with a regular mainspring, so that may be where the project stops!

Gil

Reactions: Zack856
1 - 6 of 6 Posts