1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I got it back today from SA's custom shop. I LOVE Springfield's products, but......I had a "gunsmith" here do some work as some of you may have seen in a few of my posts. He did a trigger job, recrowned the barrel, checkered the front strap, and finally refinished the gun. Well, I sent it to SA because many times when releasing the slide with the slide stop, the hammer would fall to half cock. While it was there I had it changed from the OD green that the smith had done, they added a S&A magwell. Upon inspecting the gun, they replaced the hammer, sear, and did an action job. Well, guess what.......I was lubing it up because I was going to shoot it tomorrow. When I let the slide go home, once again, the hammer went as well. (stops at half cock) Now this is what I have noticed, it does it almost every time if there is no magazine in. With a mag in, the hammer stays back. With a loaded mag in, the hammer stays back. Is there something wrong with my gun????? I really don't want to send it back again. I am going to shoot it tomorrow and see if the situation replicates itself in a range environment...

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
send it back. call them and advise them in a polite and warm and civil and loving family-like way that they dont appear to have corrected the primary concern and maybe they will prioritize you. (?)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You don't drop the slide on an empty chamber of a 1911!!! It will ruin a trigger job! With that being said, I agree, call Springfield and explain what you did and the result. Then, don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't drop the slide on an empty chamber of a 1911!!! It will ruin a trigger job! With that being said, I agree, call Springfield and explain what you did and the result. Then, don't do that anymore.
It did it the first time I let the slide go.......it wasn't like it was done over a span of time

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Silly question....Are you sure your finger is off the trigger when you release the slide?
Kinda odd still happening after new parts put it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You still should not be dropping the slide on an empty chamber- AT ALL. Don't do it, stop, no more, not again. You can't be too upset when you keep making the same choice that's causing the problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yah, was just about to ask if you're dropping your slide on an empty chamber... Not good at all... That's why I don't like letting anyone handle any of my weapons outside of a range because that's the first thing they do since I would only hand off a weapon with the slide locked to the rear with no magazine inserted or any round in the chamber.

But I agree, let them know it's still doing it, let them know how they can reproduce it (you might get lectured about dropping the slide empty lol), but just so they can figure it out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, well you live and learn I guess.....I still don't see how that could be what caused it when it did it the very first time I committed this haneous act.

Can someone please explain to me why it is that this is so bad? What exactly does it do? When I spoke with Debbie when I first sent them the pistol, she didn't sat anything about it then......

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh no, I don't think that caused the problem, there's definitely another cause to the problem that needs to be fixed. It's just bad because you're SLAMMING the slide directly into the barrel since there's no stripping of a round to slow it down or the brass absorbing some of the impact. I don't know about it affecting your trigger, but to my knowledge, this is pretty bad for your slide to frame fit and the precision fitting of your barrel.

I could be mistaken, but I know I was told by several people back in the day to make sure to never do that...

Good luck with it man.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
One thought: typically gunsmiths (like the semicustom shops) don't "stone" hammers and sears anymore because there's no return on investment. In otherwords, (using C&S as an example only) the grinding process used to make these parts does such a nice job, any "stoning" done will only be detrimental to the geometries of the parts. So SA's action job may only have been replacing the parts. Which would indicate 2 other possible issues: sear spring tension and hammer/sear pin hole location are out of spec. These are easy to check at home...well the first is unless you have some metrology capability at home.

If I had to guess, with the info provided, I'd go with the second theory. SA in all likely hood changed the leaf spring out when they did their action job. If that's the case, you'll probably get a new gun out of the deal.

Best of luck with this, and cheers!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, I am sitting here watching the clock tick so I can call Deb

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Mine did the same, but out of the box the hammer would follow while shooting so it was completely undependable. I chose to replace the sear on my own which fixed the hammer following but still you should give it the obligatory (drop the slide) once after any trigger work to be sure.

Also, your hammer can drop do to trigger bounce. Hold the trigger forward and drop it (ONCE) and see if it follows. If it does not then you need to add tension to the sear spring leaf .

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spoke with Deb, she is awaiting an answer from Dave

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
blr is right on target, my immediate thought was sear spring tension but there are other causes as he pointed out.

As a rule we shouldn't let the slide drop on an empty chamber (to protect action job) but to properly safety check a 1911 this IS one of the steps. How else would you discover hammer follow?

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
blr is right on target, my immediate thought was sear spring tension but there are other causes as he pointed out.

As a rule we shouldn't let the slide drop on an empty chamber (to protect action job) but to properly safety check a 1911 this IS one of the steps. How else would you discover hammer follow?

Thank you. I am rather brilliant. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I love my Operator again. I got an email from another guy at the custom shop. He said it is not uncommon for a 1911 with a tuned action to have the hammer fall to top half cock when the slide goes forward on an empty chamber and he recommended against doing it... :biglaugh:

I ran about 80 rounds through it, 10 of which were hydra shoks and it ran great......thank you all for your input

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
One small advice. Try changing out the ILS guts for the standard MSH innards and install a Gold Cup hammer spring or 18-19# Wolff hammer spring.

I noticed on my Custom Shop trigger that the ILS system makes it difficult to tune the trigger due to the shorter and thicker hammer spring IMHO. It just didn't feel right and felt like a hairline trigger. Now I've had many, many trigger jobs done from King's Gun Works (when they were still in business), and their triggers never felt that slippery.

I changed out the ILS innards, put my GC hammer spring and the trigger now feels "right."

And that thing about it being "normal" for the hammer to fall to half-cock...just doesn't sound right. It would be cool if other forum members could chime in.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
And that thing about it being "normal" for the hammer to fall to half-cock...just doesn't sound right. It would be cool if other forum members could chime in.
No, I'm not comfortable with that answer either. I'd make sure the problem is not trigger bounce.

i.e. If you are suffering hammer follow due to trigger bounce then you merely need to add tension to the sear spring to end the trigger bounce affect. If while holding the trigger stationary and the hammer still falls, it needs to go back and be repaired properly!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
No, I'm not comfortable with that answer either. I'd make sure the problem is not trigger bounce.

i.e. If you are suffering hammer follow due to trigger bounce then you merely need to add tension to the sear spring to end the trigger bounce affect. If while holding the trigger stationary and the hammer still falls, it needs to go back and be repaired properly!
Also, I don't want to neglect my 'take' on dropping the slide. I feel dropping the slide on an empty chamber is an easy way to wreck a trigger job. If the hammer follows, you are damaging the sear tip. Maybe only slightly but it is cumulative, the more you drop it, the more screwed up it's going to get.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts