1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still debating this one, but here goes:

Series 70 Gov't Model, matte nickel frame, slide and magazine. Arched mainspring housing is shiny nickel. Barrel bushing, slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, hammer and trigger blued. Pachmayr wraparound grips w/Pachmayr medallion. Never seen one like this, but I know Colt Custom Shop turned out some nickel variations at some point in the late 70's(?).

Didn't get a chance to give it a good going over, but noticed that the feed ramp has fairly deep tool marks. Functions OK as far as I can tell without firing it, magazine very tough to get out of mag well. Maybe cracked mag? Hard to tell how much use its had, the mag release button is shiny, didn't see any bad scratches, pitting, etc, on exterior.

Dealer asking $699, seems high, I'm thinking $575, but only if I get to field strip it and innards look all right. Assuming nothing horrible inside - good deal at $575 or $699 or somewhere in between? I'm not out to get a fantastic bargain, just want to pay a fair price.

Just as a point of information - I'm not interested in these - same dealer had two used 1991A1's both at $499 asking. One had obvious heavy use, other had lots of custom doohickeys hanging on it. This is in Washington state.

[This message has been edited by LenB (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like a aftermarket redo. The base gun is a series 70, period. If that is what you would do to the gun if you bought one, than its worth a little more to you because this work would cost you a couple hundred dollars. As for value to me, if that matters, I would say the gun is worth about 400.00 to 500.00 depending on the quality of the work. I would try to find a nice base gun and then make it into what you like.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
Colt made some guns with matte nickel slide/frame, and blued MSH, grips safety, thumb safety, bushing, etc. If the MSH and mag release aren't original, then you shouldn't pay "collector" prices for it. $600 seems closer to the mark. If they really think it's worth $700, they're not going to sell for $575, but there's no reason to not make an offer. There's a very nice, but not mint, '70's Combat Commander in a local store, priced at $875. I'm thinking $700 is more like it, but they seem not to be thinking like me. Used M1991A1's shouldn't be over $400.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
See if he will reduce the asking price a bit. Still a Series 70 is a Series 70 - I'd rather have one than a 1991A-1, too. Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. With the forum being down I didn't see 'em in time - it's gone.

I hate it when that happens.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The ramp having the tool marks is pass up # 1 and the nickle finish puts it at pass up #2. Get a blue S70 Government in good to excellent condition. And you will be one happy camper Len B.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry I forget to post in the first but your right on the sticky mag release. Its got to be a cracked mag. And no reason by itself to pass up a Colt.

·
Registered
865 Posts
RickB,

It seems like every dealer around here thinks that everyone that walks throught the door has "Microsoft" money.

I guess they haven't taken a look at the price of the stock lately!

[This message has been edited by Cactus (edited 12-04-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts