1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to buy a new pistol and checked out quite a few
I was hell bent on a USP compact in .45
But it didn't really blow me away.....very nice gun though!!
The Sigs were too big with too long a trigger pull for my short fingers
SO........ I thougth I might go with ANOTHER 1911 to add to the collection
I was thinking TRP but can I get one in Champion (preferably)or compact models???
If not why would Springfield Armory NOT offer the TRP in a Champion or Compact?
Could I get one of these?

p.s.
I also have an XD-40 and I cant seem to wipe the grin off my face for the past 3 monthes any advise??

·
Registered
319 Posts
caveat emptor

Most knowledgeable smiths will tell you the 1911 was designed to function w/ a 5" slide...If I were to want a smaller sized .45, I think I would look in a platform other than the 1911. For what it is worth, I have owned no fewer than 5 sub 5" 1911's. All functioned ok, but none as good a the many government sizes I have had the fun of shooting. The difference between learning to carry a 5" over a 4.25" is small (like only about a .75" difference).

P.S. this opinion based on my own shooting experience is free...and may be worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been eyeballing an HK but have never fired one... I don't know about the trigger pull.. all i have to compare anything to is my current Glock 30 and my previous taurus 9mm both of which i liked.

Sig
HK
SA XD

i should prolly go rent a couple and see what the deal is with them..

·
Registered
893 Posts
You can get the full TRP package done to a Champion through the Custom Shop if you want, the prices are on a downloadable sheet on SA's website.

Two of my friends got stainless Springfield Champions with most but not all of the TRP upgrades, with some light tweaks through the custom shop.

The main difference between what they got and a full house TRP is:

-No Storm Lake match barrel and bushing (these Champions were fitted with ramped bull barrels)

-Dual spring recoil system (Seecamp type)

-Standard brushed/sandblast matte finish instead of bead blast- but no "tactical" engraving, thankfully.

The pieces received some additional fitting, a bit of trigger work, S&A Magwells, and slimline stocks.

The pistols worked well out of the box and have only gotten better with use.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a Champion and I am well satisfied with it. Being a part of the "Loaded" family it comes with all of the Loaded goodies.

There is some distance between the Loaded models and the TRP. I am not sure what those differences entail. And, I don't shoot 'em well enough to appreciate the difference, yet. Although that TRP is a fine looker.

Archer and Vic Bastige make good points. I would echo the 5" design vs something less than 5", along with the idea of buying a TRP and having the Custom Shop lop off about an inch to make a TRP Champion. Sounds like fun!

Hmmmm........ May be onto something here.....

Please let us know what you decide.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts