1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I think I have it.. The Compact SA has the champion size frame with the Ultra size grip. (does that make it an officers size pistol)
the Ultra compact has the compact frame and grips (does that make it an officers size in the grips)
the micro compact is the shorter barrel 3 in with the ultra compact grips right? what size Officers??
thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Grip=frame

Micro: Officer frame (aluminum), 3" slide

Ultra: Officer frame (aluminum), 3.5" Slide

Compact (LTWT): Officer frame (aluminum), 4" slide

Champion: Full size frame (steel), 4" slide

They used to make a compact with a steel frame, but not anymore. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx

for the info.. Do you know what the differences between the PX9161L and the PX9171L. The 9171 is ported barrel rght? and is there any differences other then that.. What do they mean V10 on the 9171 description thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
They are both stainless ultra compacts. The V10 has a ported barrel (2 rows of 5 holes=10 ports).

Are you trying to decide on a 1911? Is it your first?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fairly new

but I have two Kimbers and one SA (the Champion) I really like the Kimber compact SS as I prefer a all SS gun but the compact SA looks good.. I doubt the ported brings anything.. in that short of barrrel

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
When you say compact, I assume you're talking about the ultra: I personally don't see the need for porting, other than the "cool" factor. I owned a micro, and the recoil wasn't so bad as to need porting. THe idea behind it is it reduces muzzle flip, thus reducing recoil and making follow up shots easier. But you lose velocity, and it makes it harder to clean, and it will also render front night sights useless.

FWIW, I would advise against buying anything less than 4", for reliability concerns. I know some people have good luck with them, but a lot don't. Just pull a search and you'll find more than you can read about that issue.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
They apparently make an ultra compact with a steel (officers)frame, but not a compact (4" slide). It's anodized aluminum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts