1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, brand new here.

Anybody here ever sell a gun only to kick yourself later? Probably not, but I did:rolleyes:

I had an old US Property Colt that had been cobbed together (not by me) with a newer slide and barrel, but not great. The frame had so much holster wear that you could cut yourself on the dust cover. I bought it "right" and sent it off to Clarke's for an accuracy job. It came back tight, accurate, and reliable. Obviously shot better than I could and would feed on my handloads all day with a lighter recoil spring. A few years back I had a lapse in judgement and traded it, made out well but now I don't have a 1911 and am getting the itch to get back into it, especially after realizing I kept all my reloading equipment for the 45 ACP and have quite a few semi-wadcutters all loaded and ready to go.

I would like to start out with one ready to go this time and have been looking mainly on-line at the well known manufactures and their custom shops. It doesn't have to be new, but I'm looking for advice on what to look for as I shop around.

I want one with tight inherent accuracy, adjustable sights, blued finish, reliable feed, etc. For the money on a new one, so far I like the Springfield Armory Basic Competition out of their custom shop (probably the upper end of my budget) and the Kimber Gold Match II, still looking at others. I know there is about a $400 to $500 difference in those two and have to assume some accuracy differences as well. I also know that I will probably never be able to shoot as well as the gun itself, but there's just something about knowing a gun is capable to me. I also like traditional lines for appearance in a gun and like the looks of the SA custom.

So I'm wide open to opinions and suggestions, just shopping right now. Especially interested in the differences between the upper end production lines compared to those out of their custom shops, like my example above. Its been a few years and I'm amazed, even baffled, at the choices out there today.

Thanks - Brad

·
Registered
206 Posts
Buy the Springfield Mil-Spec and shoot it for a while before you do ANYTHING to it! Mine would blow the X-ring out of the slow fire target, at 25 yds., with the right ammo. Each gun is a law unto itself, if you really want the best accuracy. Since you reload, Try the 200 gr. SWC (H&G 68) with 4.0 gr. of Bullseye. The great gunsmith Al Dinan claimed all of the .45's he built would do their best with that bullet and something between 3.8 - 4.2 gr. of Bullseye. That's groups of ONE inch or less at 50 yds. !! My experience agrees. Self defense ammo is a process of trial. If you do want to add features, I recommend Bar-Sto barrels and Bo-Mar sights. The Springfield Mil-Spec is a great gun and the best way to start IMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
The Springfield would be my choice over the Kimber as I don't like the Series II Safety on the Kimber and Kimber puts more of your money on how their pistols "look" than Springfield and I rather my money be spent on performance. There is also the Les Baer Premier II which is an excellent adjustable sight 1911.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try the 200 gr. SWC (H&G 68) with 4.0 gr. of Bullseye. The great gunsmith Al Dinan claimed all of the .45's he built would do their best with that bullet and something between 3.8 - 4.2 gr. of Bullseye.
I have to agree with you there. That was my favorite load, my old gun loved it. In fact, that's what I have quite a few boxes left just waiting for a new gun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How about a slightly unconventional choice. S&W 1911 from the Performance Center. I have both a standard SW1911, which I had S&W do a little work on, that's a tack driver, and a PC945, which is even more of a tack driver. I would think that a PC1911 would be just about perfect right out of the box.

Other contenders - Les Baer, a RRA, a Nighthawk. Any of those guns will almost certainly shoot better than you, although all are a little pricey.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gee, in the time it took me to post this, another recommendation for SW1911, so maybe it's not such an unconventional choice.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
380 Posts
From the description of what youre looking for it sounds like you might want to consider looking at a Les Baer Premiere II. Beautiful blue finish, adjustable sights, and super tight construction and accuracy. You would not regret that choice, IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A just-buy-it-and-shoot = 5" S&W.

Fancier = that SA you like.
I'll take a look. Hadn't considered S&W, seems like when I had mine S&W only offered a DA version of a 45. I have a few of their revolvers, fine guns all of them.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Just send the money to me and I'll find you a good one. In addition, I'll even break it in (provided you supply the ammo).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd take a good look at Colt's Special Combat Government for what you specified in your initial remarks, Bbrown. Get it in either hard chrome or the blued/satin combo. It comers from Colt's Custom Shop and are great shooters for the money (and look real nice as well)...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/images/Special_O2570CM.jpg

OVERVIEW
This competition ready 45 ACP (now also in .38 Super) comes with 3 hole aluminum trigger, S&A grip safety, custom tuned action, polished feed ramp, throated barrel, flared ejection port, cut out commander hammer, two 8-round magazines, extended thumb safety, Bomar rear and Heinie dovetail front sight, and S&A magazine guide. Fully accurized and shipped with a certified target attesting to its exceptional precision.

FEATURES
5” barrel length
8½” overall length
Single action
Extended ambidextrous thumb safety
Steel checkered mainspring housing with extended magazine well
Available Models:
- O1970CM
- O1980CM
- O2570CM
- O2580CM

Good luck on wherever your roads leads...

ColtM1911A1

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The Les Baer Premier II would be an awesome choice--accurate, reliable, well-made and durable. I have a Concept II that is an incredible piece of work.

On the other hand the Springfield Custom Shop does good work. The Basic Competition would serve you well. I myself have a Custom Carry on order. An added benefit is that Springfield firearms come with a lifetime warranty. Baers and Kimbers don't.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't pay retail on any of these pistols. For example you can get the Premier II for around $1400. Shop around for a good price before you spend your money.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Colt Gold Cup Trophy is exactly what I would buy. Very accurate, totally relaible, all the bells and whistles you need and none of the ones you don't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Until I can afford the Wilson Combat I've been drooling over, my Springfield TRP is everything I could ask for. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
yep

I mean a 5" S&W 1911; pick the model you prefer (I've been very impressed with all I've handled/shot, including examples Performance Center acquaintances have brought north...).

IMO a great lesser-cost 'buy-n-shoot' 1911.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info! I've been doing some more reading on the Baer PII and it sounds impressive. Also sounds very competitive on the $$ end of things, I am surprised by that. Will start checking out some of the bigger shops around here to see what the market has to offer.

Next step in this project toward getting back into a 1911 is funding it by getting rid of a few, especially an old Colt ACP that I know should bring some good bucks. Working with collectors to get a fair price might be the toughest part, we shall see.

Thanks again - Brad

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Brad, If you decide on a Baer get a price from Sporting Arms and Pro Load. It will probably be $150 cheaper than anything local plus you would save another $120 or so in sales tax. You would have to pay a transfer fee of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts