1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the "another 1911" itch. Been exploring Wilsons as a possibility. But I'm not sure I understand their pricing between the Standard and Supergrade Classic model.

From their website, the Standard Classic is about $2350 and the Supergrade is about $4000. Checking the listed differences between the two, I find there is about $200 in "better" parts in the Supergrade (including the 4 extra magazines and spare extractor) and some additional checkering on the end of the slide. They also mention "external surfaces hand contoured and finished"

Can that amount of hand work add up to about a $1500 difference in price or am I missing something in their website descriptions? Both guns state 1" accuracy. Looking at their photos I can't tell any difference externally.

·
Registered
691 Posts
From what I understand, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the Supergrade has the slide and frame hand-selected for an even better fit than normal. It is also built entirely by one 'smith, and that takes time, which costs money. It also comes with an extra 4 magazines (at about $30/each), an extra fitted and handcheckered extractor, a magwell installed and blended, and possibly even more.
The best thing to do however, is call Wilson's and ask what the differences are and they will be able to tell you. If all else fails, ask for Matt. He has always been able to answer any question I have had, and I can come up with some good ones. (I don't just ask what, I also want to know why.) He is the guy I always deal with, and he has never let me down.

:grumble: Be careful of him though. If you aren't real careful, you will find yourself uttering these words: "Go ahead and I will get the check out in the mail tomorrow." He is sneaky like that. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts