1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what to do with two rifles I built. This is NOT an offer to sell either gun; I just want to know what you guys think.

I have a FN-FAL StG 58 which I built from an "excellent" Stg 58 kit, using an Imbel gear receiver, all DSA US parts, a Penguin humpback stock, and a short multi-port muzzle brake. The receiver was mated to the barrel by Century Gun Works (NOT CAI!!!) The entire rifle was coated in Brownell's black Moly-Cote finish, as were the ten Steyr mags I bought for it. This rifle looks and functions perfectly.

The other rifle is brand new and unfired. It is an AR-15, built on a Rock River Arms receiver, using M&A Parts, a standard buttstock, and a mid-length M&A upper with a standard carry handle. I just built it for fun. Got the bug, built it, but haven't shot it. Again, brand new and perfect.

I am thinking about selling or trading both to get a Springfield (or FA) M1A.
I have a gorgeous M1 that Fulton built and the M1A would be a nice mate for it.

So my questions are:

1) Am I crazy?

2) Do you think these two rifles would equate to an even trade for a SA Loaded M1A??

Again, I am NOT offering these for sale -- just deciding whether to drag them to an upcoming show.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,132 Posts
I've "heard" that Springfield M1As are now built with almost no USGI parts. They are now mostly cast or MIM. Do what you will with that info.
I have a Garand and an AR, and don't really have much interest in a M1A. I suppose, if I was trying to have all of my "missions" covered, I'd replace the Garand with a M1A, and keep the AR.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Just bought an M1A last weekend (still waiting for my "delayed" background check to clear). I did a lot of research before I bought it and decided on a standard. Since most of the springfields have little or no GI parts I couldn't justify paying the extra for the loaded (since all the upgrades are non USGI parts). I figured the savings could go toward a few USGI parts, the only one I'm sold on so far as a must is an extractor. Were I you I'd either save the cash and buy one outright or only trade one of your other rifles toward one. Otherwise you will give up two perfectly functional rifles for one. You're not gonna get great trade value for home builts. Say you got 700 apeice (I got my factory RRA for 750 new) that only gives you 1400 that will probably cover a loaded but you will still have to shell out tax and fees. If I were you I'd keep the AR, everyone should have one, it's the one you will probably get hosed the most on. Or try to sell both online and possibly get a bit more than you would on a dealer trade. You could list them both in the trade section on ar15.com and try to swap for a nicer M1A with some USGI parts. But I doubt you'll get a fair deal out of a dealer. They have to make a proffit and I think a dealer would have a hard time breaking even on that deal. Just my .02.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.