1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! Mine locked up. -UPDATED

My cbob locked up on my wife.

We took it out to shoot after work this evening. I shot first. 1st mag it performed flawless. 2nd mag it shot fine except it failed to feed the last round correctly. It chambered it in front of the ejector. I cleared the round. reloaded it in the mag and fired it. Next, my wife wanted to shoot. She got off one round. The second round failed to go into full battery. I cleared the round, rechambered and gave it back to her. She fired and his is when it locked up HARD! I got the gun apart cleaned it and thouroghly lubed it but now I cant get it back together. I can't find any burrs.

This is how far it goes before it stops:

I'm feeling really sick right now like I bought somen else's problem and got this $900 paperweight. :barf:

update -> http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2387259&postcount=46

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Do you have the guide rod in there? If it's not sitting in there just right, it will stop the slide right about where you have it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no. it's empty no barrel or anything, just trying to get the slide to operate and I can't. It myst have some sort of burr or something but I just cant find one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you think i should call dan wesson support? I don't mind sending it off it they will fix it.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Can you tap the slide off, carefully as heck of course. Any chance you've got a sliver of brass or lead hiding in the rails of the slide?

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Hmm. Hard to say. You could send it off, but that always sucks not having your pistol. I'd try to lightly lube it with FP-10 or motor oil and slide it on. If it can get back on, cycle it by hand a bunch. Don't use Breakfree for lube, Keith just said they've had a few problems with it being too thin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the slide off, It just won't go back together. I've been messing with it now going on 3 hours It must be something there causing the problem but I cant find what it is. I could force it back together but I'd have to take the mallet to it to get it back apart.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I got the slide off, It just won't go back together. I've been messing with it now going on 3 hours It must be something there causing the problem but I cant find what it is. I could force it back together but I'd have to take the mallet to it to get it back apart.
Did you have a good look at the rails?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I don't know what everyone else does when they strip and lube, but I always put a drop or two on the head of the disconnector with the frame upright and press it up and down. A drop or two on the disconnector rail and rub that around. With the slide off, make sure the disconnector moves up and down freely.

Check to make sure the firing pin stop is in the right place, sometimes if the firing pin spring is weak (new gun shouldn't be) or a burr in the firing pin tunnel will let it slip out of place.

Dave, would taking the FPS off and retrying the slide tell anything? I was just thinking if the FPS is a little tall, hanging below the bottom of the disconnector rail, it could be hitting the disconnector too low and not riding up the angle on the head. Conversely, could the disconnector be hanging up on something and sticking up too far?

Could it be hanging up on the front of the ejector? Pull the slide off and see if the ejector wiggles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same thing happened to me, pretty much the same scenario. Lubed it a lot while at the range and it continued to work, sort of.
When I got home, a rubber mallet got it apart and then I polished the rails. Lubed with Mobil1 and no problems since.

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine will occasionally lock up like that when it is going back together. I found that it is the barrel link wedging between the barrel and the frame. I now slide it together upside down and that gets rid of the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same thing happened to me, pretty much the same scenario. Lubed it a lot while at the range and it continued to work, sort of.
When I got home, a rubber mallet got it apart and then I polished the rails. Lubed with Mobil1 and no problems since.

Ken
It's not the disconector or the firing pin block, it's in the rails somewhere. What did you use to polish the rails. I think it has to be in the slide somewhere because i can't feel/see anything on the frame rails.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
It's not the disconector or the firing pin block, it's in the rails somewhere. What did you use to polish the rails. I think it has to be in the slide somewhere because i can't feel/see anything on the frame rails.

with new guns i usually make a slurry of JB Bore paste and some oil.
then put some on the slide/frame rails and work the slide a few times.
repeat as needed.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you search around for the infamous FirstCav "500 hand cycles" thread, he talks about using toothpaste as a very fine lapping compound. He got it from somewhere else. Sounds like it would work, plus has the added benefit of leaving the gun smelling minty fresh.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started with jewelers rouge, cycling the slide and frame a few dozen times, and then finished with 1500 grit paper. I do this with almost all autos, but that's just me.

IMHO, and I'm not a gunsmith so take this with a 5# bag of salt, you could use a Sharpie or other marker and darken the rails. Then slide them together repeatedly. That should tell you where any problem is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well... Since I'm kinduva noob with the 1911 platform, I'm gonna take it to my local gun guru when I get off work today. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to give me some advise. I'm just afraid of eff'in it up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My Cbob was very tight when I got it. Because I was aware of the lapping problem thanks to this forum , I reasoned that I wanted only to polish out the rails, while not increasing the space between them . So, instead of a polishing paste , I used TW-25B and Mobil-1 oil abundantly on the rails while I was racking back and forward the slide many times, at least 500 times . The result is great , no problems whatsoever at all since the beginning , and the rails are tight , but run like butter. This is my experience , and it has worked for me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Doubtful but also check to make sure the ejector is not hitting the slide. Sometimes they can lift.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doubtful but also check to make sure the ejector is not hitting the slide. Sometimes they can lift.
It's not the ejector... One of the first things I checked. Do you think I should call DW or just take it to my local gunsmith guy?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts