1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I'm new to the site and this is my first post, although I have been lurking for a while trying to figure out a solution to my dilemma. Without having much luck I decided to present my problem to all of you.

I am in the market for a 1911. Until very recently, I had decided on a Kimber Pro Carry II in 45 ACP. My primary need is concealed carry, therefor I have decided on a 4" barrel. Recently I've been thinking about the need for a larger capacity 1911. I travel into NYC a lot and would really like more rounds in the gun. I looked at the Kimber Pro Aegis II in 9mm, which increases the rounds in the magazine to 9, 2 rounds more than the Pro Carry II's 7 rounds.

My question to all of you is: Is there a 4" barrel 1911 out there that would give me more than 2 rounds in 9mm, compared to a 45 ACP.

Please feel free to suggest any manufacturer in any caliber, I am not stuck on Kimber. I have a budget of $1,000.00.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Brian

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I travel into NYC a lot and would really like more rounds in the gun.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Brian
Brian, do you have a valid NYC pistol permit? If not, forget the idea of carrying a firearm there. NYC does not recognize any other NY State issued permit. They do not recognize any other state's permit. Unless you have a badge that allows you to carry in NYC or you have a NYC permit, forget it.

As for the gun, I am not a fan of ultra small 1911's. I would rather go plastic and carry either a Glock or S&W M&P in either 9 or .40. I would carry extra full sized mags as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian, do you have a valid NYC pistol permit? If not, forget the idea of carrying a firearm there. NYC does not recognize any other NY State issued permit. They do not recognize any other state's permit. Unless you have a badge that allows you to carry in NYC or you have a NYC permit, forget it.

As for the gun, I am not a fan of ultra small 1911's. I would rather go plastic and carry either a Glock or S&W M&P in either 9 or .40. I would carry extra full sized mags as well.
Thanks for your response. I'm a retired police officer from the northern suburbs of New York City. A number of years ago when Ed Koch was the mayor of NYC, the mayor and council past a law giving all retired police officers (the entire state of New York) who possess a valid New York State full carry permit, the right to carry in NYC.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of the "plastic" guns. I like the looks of a 1911 and thought the 4" barrel was a good compromise between the small (3") 1911 and the full (5") size 1911.

·
Registered
570 Posts
1) As far as the size of the gun affecting concealment, the two main factors are the length/shape of the grip and the gun's thickness.

1911's are thin, so no problem there. I've personally discovered a shorter barreled gun is less comfortable since the gun becomes "top heavy". A longer gun has its center of mass further below the belt, thereby making it more stable.

My ultimate 1911 is my bob-tailed commander length gun. The bobtail helps with the grip issue. My choosing a commander length had to do with drawing the gun, not concealing the gun.

2) About round count: as I train, I imagine myself in the kind of gunfight (as a non-leo) I might be in. Nine rounds of .45 ACP or ten rounds of 10mm along with an extra mag or two seems like enough.

As an ex police chief you're now in a similar position. But it's something we all have to decide for ourselves.

3) Suggestions: After carrying for fifteen years, something like the Dan Wesson CBOB is what I'd buy.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Also look at the Bul M5 compact - light weight - high cap - 4in bull barrel.

runs like a race horse!!!!

·
Banned
863 Posts
Thanks for your response. I'm a retired police officer from the northern suburbs of New York City. A number of years ago when Ed Koch was the mayor of NYC, the mayor and council past a law giving all retired police officers (the entire state of New York) who possess a valid New York State full carry permit, the right to carry in NYC.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of the "plastic" guns. I like the looks of a 1911 and thought the 4" barrel was a good compromise between the small (3") 1911 and the full (5") size 1911.
NYC hypocrisy at its best. Common law bidding folks can't own or carry a gun but retired cops and public elected officials get free roam.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'm not a fan of Para, I've been using the 1911 for 39 years, I've carried one concealed for over 22 years. Since your looking for a 4" I'd highly recommend the Springfield Champion. Granted, it's limited to the 8 rounds in the magazine, plus your spares.

Now, you said your not a fan of "plastic" guns, I've carried a Glock 21SF, and used it extensively in competition, my carry 21SF now has over 35k rounds through it and NO malfunctions, ever.

Before you discount the Glock 21SF, take a serious look at it if what your looking for is a double stack .45 that WORKS.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Wilson Combat Spec-Ops 9

xpd,
Only half-plastic;but,still, a Wilson Combat in 1911 format with all the well-known customer service and satisfaction other makers only dream about.

16+1 rounds of 9mm in a very well-designed package.

Maybe a little over your $1k budget;but,may be worth the extra coinage in your situation.

1911MS,I feel your pain. The hierarchy and caste-system leaving citizens at the bottom has been here a loong time. Don't look like it is going away anytime soon. All I can say/do is to make sure I exercise my right to carry EVERYDAY;and,teach as many others about their rights and freedoms under the Constitution. Join NRA and any other state/local organizations that stand up for our God-given rights.

I just joined Georgia Carry.Org. Been an NRA member for years.

Teaching others(in any way you can) about the enjoyment and peace of mind of concealed carry,Marksmanship,shooting sports in general all helps to bring the joy of firearms out of the darkness that film and television has given gun owners a baad name.

NYC,Kali.,Chicago etc. are just good places to avoid IMHO. Maybe Wisconsin too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts