1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, thanks to everyone here for having me, first time poster here

I was hoping to get some specific information and I thought this might be the best place to come.

I stumbled into this, and I would very much like to know more about them. I read that there were a number of surplus RR 1911A1's that were kept as new in box by the military(?) and then sold through the DCM in the early 60's. Of those, very few were left as purchased new in box to this day. I would very much like to think I have one of those, or something close to it although i'm not ignorant to the reality of reproductions, refinishes, and unscrupulous sellers.
What do you think I have here?
A time capsule of a 1911A1 as issued in WW2, a decent shooter, or a repark'd beater in a repop box?

Handwriting Font Trigger Gas Gun barrel

Gas Gun accessory Trigger Font Wood

Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Font

Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Hood

Motor vehicle Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Gas Metal

Office supplies Publication Office equipment Tints and shades Font

Writing implement Office supplies Rim Cylinder Font

Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Font Metal

Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part Tints and shades

· Administrator
80,882 Posts
Please show us some more pictures of the box... both lids inside and out. The pistol itself looks legit based on what you've shown so far. However the spare mags appear to be repros.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's the only other photo I have of the box...Everything I'm reading seems to point to the box being the original DCM box, or someone knew that the pistols sold for $17.00 at the time and wrote it on the top of the box after the fact. The magazines were sold as reproductions, not original to the box or gun.

Handwriting Font Wood Gas Rectangle

· Registered
2,907 Posts
I am no expert on the box originality. But the price is too good to be true unless the seller/dealer has no clue what he/she has either. I would buy it at that price based on pistol condition. If it turns out to be original box, you have a bargain. If not, the pistol still worth that much.

The target and the cleaning rod also were not be original to the RR factory package.

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello, thanks to everyone here for having me, first time poster here

I was hoping to get some specific information and I thought this might be the best place to come.

I stumbled into this, and I would very much like to know more about them. I read that there were a number of surplus RR 1911A1's that were kept as new in box by the military(?) and then sold through the DCM in the early 60's. Of those, very few were left as purchased new in box to this day. I would very much like to think I have one of those, or something close to it although i'm not ignorant to the reality of reproductions, refinishes, and unscrupulous sellers.
What do you think I have here?
A time capsule of a 1911A1 as issued in WW2, a decent shooter, or a repark'd beater in a repop box?

View attachment 666110

View attachment 666111 View attachment 666111 View attachment 666111

View attachment 666112

View attachment 666113

View attachment 666114

View attachment 666115

View attachment 666116

View attachment 666117

View attachment 666118

View attachment 666119
safestuffer,

Welcome to the Forum !

Congratulations on your acquisition !!

The Box looks good and correct. (It did not ship with that target [or, most likely, any target], those mags, or the cleaning rod.)

It looks like it might be one of These ! ?? (IIRC, those wrapped mags are WW II welded base M.S. Little Mfg.)

Best Regards,
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel Gun accessory
Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Paper product

· Registered
240 Posts
What a wonderful pistol! These are so great to see and examine, whether they are perfectly original or not. You have the whole shebang there with papers, target, box, etc. The barrel looks like it could be cleaned in the grooves a little better. I think you have a great treasure, Thanks for sharing!

· Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Yes, the serial number is in the range of the unissued 1945 batch that was sold in the NRA/DCM sales of the 1960s. Unfortunately the new owner could not help shooting it but it is still in great condition. Hopefully the barrel just has dirt in it. If you can find an 'S' magazine (Scovill) for it in great condition it would be perfect. All that other stuff was just somebody's idea of how it was when new, but as said above, none of it is correct. Barrel is good. (High Standard).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts