·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Trying to find out if my friends 2 1918 dated
US military 1911 has the correct parts in it or not

it has been re done and has AA on the side of both

is there a parts guide that shows correct era parts?
like slides, sites, hammer and small parts

Frames and trigger seem to be correct

one slide has pony at rear other pony in middle
one front sight is serated and wider

Is it correct to assume the factory used whatever parts until gone and some variation might exist.

I will try and get some pics

Any idea on value?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Assuming Parkerized rebuilds, any USGI parts existing at the time may be found. Highly unlikely that either gun has all its original parts. For example, the slide with the pony at the rear is from an earlier M1911. The serrated front sight probably would be on the slide with the pony in the middle, which probably would be a WWII-era replacement.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I believe it is in an oval.
I think that is a colt made barrel with Argentina inspector stamp?
Was this meant for parts to be sold to them?

I think the grips are WW2 type replacements

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
So what exactly do you want to know that is not already explained? They are rebuilds. The assumption is that all parts are replacements, not the other way around. They are usually valued from $800 - $1200. Unfortunately the RA barrel should not appear in a USGI. That would've been installed after the pistol left government custody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies

I thought with the pictures you guys might be able to identify which parts are not correct and which are.

I really can't tell from some of the reference pictures on websites on the small parts.
I know you guys have seen a lot from this time period.

mostly
Hammers, safety, beavertails and sights

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
We haven't listed them because we can't tell from the pictures for the most part, and because it doesn't matter as long as the parts are G.I. A rebuild with all-original parts is not worth any more than a mixmaster. Both slides are wrong as you already know, which pretty much puts the cap on it as far as any concern for originality of the other parts.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think it can be safely said, that if you stripped the frames down and sat all the parts in a bowl. The parts in the bowl are not correct for the frame. But since the frame has been parked, it could never be returned to its original condition even if you spent double the 1000$ the gun is worth trying to make it correct. Don't get me wrong they both are very nice units and warrant ownership even by a purist. Nice pistols and thanks for sharing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts