1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a Taurus PT 1911 AR in .38 super....so my question is if i would get a non ramped 9mm Barrel can i swap it out ??.............i know i did it on a RIA .38sup but just not sure on the Taurus.......if you know please let me know A,S,A,P...........PLEASE :scratch:

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Taurus went with conventional barrel with ramp frame on the thirty eight super and a ramped barrel on the 9mm. I have to think they had a reason and I have to think it was reliability. Not that a conventional barrel cannot be made to work, it is a job that can have either good or bad results depending on who does it. The ramped nine Taurus going up to a ramped 38 super barrel should be pretty good and pretty easy. There was a guy here who did what you want to do because he had the thirty eight already and he said it worked for him. Your luck may be the same or different.

·
Banned
218 Posts
My PT1911 .38 Super works fine with the 9mm barrels (these are regular 1911 NON-ramped barrels, such as sold by Colt, SA, others) I've tried by various makers. I also use the .38 Super mags as well and have had no problems with 9mm feeding/ejection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
.38S to 9mm

I asked the same question of customer service in Miami and got a resounding "No". I wanted to buy a 9mm barrel and mag and they wouldn't quote me a price.
Not long ago I ran across a used CZ75 with little finish and a very good bore and bought it. Works well.
I am glad to know that the conversion can be successful. I'll keep an eye out for a 9mm barrel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you're not going to be just changing out the barrel, bushing and mag. the ejector and extractor will also need to be changed. If you get the right barrel (as Dr Sam noted) it should be pretty easy to do. just dont try to get the parts or any warranty work done by Taurus with the 9mm parts still in it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My PT1911 .38 Super works fine with the 9mm barrels (these are regular 1911 NON-ramped barrels, such as sold by Colt, SA, others) I've tried by various makers. I also use the .38 Super mags as well and have had no problems with 9mm feeding/ejection.
Did you change anything else other than the barrel as mentioned in the previous post? Also, is it as accurate after the swap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts