1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm pretty new to 1911's and I could use the help of some experienced users as I'm thinking of replacing the two piece guide rod on my SA Champion II.

Does anyone have suggestions about what parts I should buy? In addition, I need to know all the parts that I will need to add. For example, I know I need to replace the spring, but does anyone have recommendations as to what brand and pound level I should use? Further, as this is a bushingless barrel do I need to replace the original plug?

Finally, are there drawbacks associated with replacing the original two piece guide rod with one that is not two piece?

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Big Brew

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Big Brew

Since your pistol is a Champion and is equipped with a bull barrel, you probably need to continue using a full length guide rod. I have not heard of using a reverse plug with a short "GI" style spring guide. So I do not know if it will work over the long run. Another contributor will need to answer this for you. But I do know that with a bull barrel you need to use the reverse plug in order to contain the recoil spring.

In replacing the Springfield guide rod you choices are a one piece guide rod or another two piece guide rod. For a one piece guide rod I would suggest the Chip McCormick rod. For a two piece rod I would suggest either an Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat. You should call your selected supplier to see what they offer for your pistol. You should also call Springfield to see what options they have.

For which recoil spring to use, Wolff is probably the most recommended spring supplier you will find. Go to their website and look up the spring they recommend for your pistol.

If you are thinking of changing your guide rod because it has a tendency to back out during shooting try the following before going to the trouble of replacing it. First, before reassembling your pistol, clean the threads of both parts with alcohol then reassemble they dry and tight. If this does not help, do the same thing, but add a drop of fingernail polish to the threads. This will act as a thread sealer, but it is not too strong that it will make removal difficult.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts