1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been converted to the wonderful world of the 1911 from the neitherworlds of the polomer frame market, with just one day of shooting a classic military colt and now plan to get one of my own but I am tossed up between a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry and a Springfield Arms Champion both in stainless. I am wondering which is best and why. Any Input I could get would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Saying which one is "best" is very difficult. You should throw in the Colt lightweight Commander with the group you listed, it may be the best of the bunch right now. Any of those three manufacturers make a quality gun.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My suggestion to you is that you search all the relevant forums that list have those guns. Do this here at 1911forum and www.thefiringline.com and you should then have a lot of threads to review.

As you review the threads, check to see if an email address is listed for the people who say they own one of the models you are considering. Then write to those people via email. I did this before I bought a Wilson compact. Some of the questions I posed to the people included:

Are you happy with the gun?
Why did you choose that particular gun?
Was your gun purchased for recreational shooting, hunting, bedside personal defense, or concealed carry defense?
How many rounds do you have through it?
How long have you owned it?
Have you had any custom work done to the gun?
Was the gun a good value?
What do you like best about the gun?
What do you like least about the gun?
What sorts of mechanical problems have you had with it such as failures to go into battery, picky about ammo, fit and finish, parts breakage?
For any of the mechanical problems you may have had, did you have to take the gun to a smith or send it back to the maker in order to get it fixed?
Now that you have owned the gun, knowing what you know now, would you still buy the same gun or would you buy something else?

Of course, you can add your own questions to suit your personal needs. I think that you will find that people are often very happy to share their insight with you. Keep in mind that glowing reviews may not always be the best indicator. A lot of people will rationalize that for the money, they did not expect the gun to be perfect or some other such nonsense. I know I have done that in my own mind.

What may be most telling are the problems or dislikes that you learn about. If you get enough responses, you may find that for a particular model, there is a recurring problem that may be indicative of poor quality parts, workmanship, or design flaws. If a problem is recurring, and espeically if it is a problem you can't take care of yourself, you may wish to consider another model.

Something else to consider, many people will have glowing reviews about how great their guns are and how they have functioned flawlessly. Then you discover that they only have 200, 500, or maybe 1000 rounds through it. In reality, a 1000 rounds is not a lot. For most people, they haven't even changed out the original recoil spring yet (that should be done supposedly around 1500 rounds for commander-sized guns, and 2000 for government model size). That would be like asking someone if they liked their particular model of car and they told you that it has run perfectly and then you find out they only have 10,000 miles on it and only drive it on Sunday to go to church. So, 1000 rounds and no problems is not very insightful, but 1000 rounds and problems really can be insightful.

I suggest going to people who say the own the guns because they are consumers like yourself. I would strong suggest NOT going with the advice of the person behind the counter who is trying to sell you the gun. Some are perfectly honest, some are not, but both types are hopeful of making a sale to you and so their statements cannot be considered free of bias.

After you get back your responses, try to determine the best gun for you given the information. In the end, this should help you to be able to make a much better informed decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts