1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first 1911 yesterday. A Dan Wesson Patriot Expert. I disassembled it. I went to put it back together but can't get the slide stop back in. The barrel link isn't the problem. There is a tiny spring loaded pin going from the safety to the back of the slide stop just above the top of the grip. Somehow this pin is susposed to fit into the slide stop I think. If anyone thinks they can help me out my e-mail address is [email protected] Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would you pls. send me the same email? I'm having the same problem with mine, and I don't recall having it with Colt 1911's in days past.

Thanks--RUT

[email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks-- got it. Now I just have to see if I understand it! :)

Thanks again,

RUT

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dpcdiver,

I have the same problem, and overcame it by pushing the plunger pin back w/a wooden coffee stirrer. It ought to be the case that the slide stop slides the plunger pin back when you rotate it up, but that hasn't worked for me, even after lubing the plunger pin.

If you have a solution to this problem, please PM me or just post it to this thread.

Thanx.

·
Registered
88 Posts
>>It ought to be the case that the slide stop slides the plunger pin back when you rotate it up<<

Exactly, as it does with most 1911's. I end up pushing it up as well! It just may be the nature of the beast with DW's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
RUT said:
>>It ought to be the case that the slide stop slides the plunger pin back when you rotate it up<<

Exactly, as it does with most 1911's. I end up pushing it up as well! It just may be the nature of the beast with DW's.
But be careful when you rotate it up or you'll have a nice idiot mark like some of mine do ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
gendarms2000 said:
But be careful when you rotate it up or you'll have a nice idiot mark like some of mine do ;)
Too late!!:mad:

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
To avoid the dreaded "idiot mark" (which we've all done, I'm sure), you might try laying something flat upon the frame just below the slide stop as you're perfecting your insertion technique. Someone else here mentioned a playing card a while back. Excellent idea.

Actually, in most instances, you don't need any tool to get the slide stop back in place. Insert the pin end into the frame hole (with link lined-up, of course), but keep the engagement stud high up and out of the way of the frame as you rotate it into position. Now, your goal is to gently position the back of the stud such that is just kisses the pin with its upper, rearward edge. You might be able to depress the pin a tad with your fingernail at this point, or you might find that you don't need to. At any rate, once the stud kissed the pin, the objective is to push up and in simultaneously, with just a touch more "up" than "in". Kind of a touchy-feely deal to develop the exact combination. If done correctly, the slide stop stud will snap into position at this point. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts