1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a springfield A1 SS that has been giving me some problems with rounds nosdiving in to the feedramp this gun has less than 200 rnds through it
I am going to send it back to springfield but in the meantime I was looking it over this morning and I noticed this
if you lock the slide back on your gun and turn it upside down I noticed that there was a shiny spot on the underside of the slide where it looks like the top of the hammer is dragging on it
there is a rough spot on the top of the hammer as well
then I noticed that I could hold the gun with the grip safety engaged and with my index finger I could put pressure on the top of the hammer and move it to where it makes contact with the beavertail which would seem to give the hammer enough clearance to keep it from dragging on the bottom of the slide
I take it this "hammer dragging on the top of the slide" isn' normal is it? it seems to me that this would be like having your thumb ride the slide by accident in both case's it takes energy from the recoil which might be enough to cause the round to nosedive
what do you think?
freebyrd

·
Registered
146 Posts
First thing I try when a 1911 is having feeding problems is to use a quality aftermarket magazine and see if the problem goes away. I like the 8 round Wilson combat magazines and have never had a magazine-related problem when using one. I'd try this before sending your pistol to SA.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The way you are explaining it, the hammer will move along the bottom on the slide. That is how the hammer is brought back during cycling. The main spring will keep upward pressure on the hammer which will make it ride on the under part of the slide (disconnector track). The shiny spots are normal. If you do have a rough spot it could be polished out. The nosedive could be magazine related but I'm no expert.

[This message has been edited by EOS1D (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Everytime I hve had a nosedive problem, I have noted that the magazine caused it. The specific problem is caused by flat magazine followers. These tilt in the magazine when the slide contacts the back of the round. For my money, I consider the Pachmayr Stainless magazine the best you can buy. Round top follower, never a failure to feed.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts