1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. before i tried shooting my new RIA 1911 I have upgraded my gi model with a match trigger, hammer, guide rod, Beavertail safty grip, and a colt pachmayr american legend grip... NOW i went to the shooting range and BOOM!! after i empty the clip i could not release the magazine. i tried to cock it again and again and then nothing happen. but when i took out the grip it finally work! does any body know if the colt grip is ok to use in an RIA.. Please help!!:grumble::grumble:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was it an issue of not being able to fully pressing the magazine release? If so, check the right hand side of your grips to make sure that it does not obstruct the magazine release from sticking out when you depress the mag release button.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Hello Everyone. before i tried shooting my new RIA 1911 I have upgraded my gi model with a match trigger, hammer, guide rod, Beavertail safty grip, and a colt pachmayr american legend grip... NOW i went to the shooting range and BOOM!! after i empty the clip i could not release the magazine. i tried to cock it again and again and then nothing happen. but when i took out the grip it finally work! does any body know if the colt grip is ok to use in an RIA.. Please help!!:grumble::grumble:

Make sure the grip screws aren't going too deep protruding into the frame's magwell

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ya. I'd check to see if you tighten the grip screw too much...

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
yikes. why did you dropin parts before the gun was ever even shot? I see you are new to 1911s, but do you realize just dropping in a hammer is bad juju without proper fitting to the sear? It needs to be mated to a sear. its critical. and understand, cocking a hammer over and over has zero to do with dropping a mag.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Might want to also check to see if the gap cut into the bottom of the frame for the magazine floor plate to sit in is actually clearing the mag. My pistol's frame wasn't cut to spec so some mags would be impossible to remove once fully seated, had to pry them out with a flat head. Nothing a dremel wouldn't fix, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might be the grips, it's a pain in the butt to get matching grips for the ria G.I.'s

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Given the narrative the grip screws could be too long. Also the slide stop hold open stud could be too short causing the mag flower jump it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Umm,
Didn’t any of the recent posters notice that the OP has only one post and that this was 8 years ago ?

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
got me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts