1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the left side of the ambi anyway on my Kimber Compact CDP. The grips held the right safety on. I'm able to get the left safety working but not the right.

Pistol only has 500 rounds through it and has been well maintained. So: 1) Why did this happen? ; 2) How do I fix it?; and 3) How do I prevent it from happening again. (I really didn't like the plunger do-hickey falling on the carpet - doesn't give me a warm feeling).

BY the way - this has N E V E R happened with one of my old Colts!!!

Thanks & regards,

Roger

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok - took the right grip off and restored the safety to function. It took CONSIDERABLE force to mate both sides and there also appears to be a "nick" missing from the flat end of the left safety - GREAT STUFF THAT MIM
!!!

Found an old Swenson ambi and noted it fit beautifully (did not have to be forced and "keyed" together smoothly/snuggly) - I AM NOW GOING TO REPLACE EVERY PIECE OF THIS MIRACLE MIM ASAP.

OUT COMES THE BROWNELLS

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For cryin' out loud, what has happened to quality control. We live in a disposable society but I dont think that should apply to guns..

Send it back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should send it back - but they'd only fix it with the same nonsense. Quality Control, Kimber don't need no stinkin' quality control
!

Its a very sad state of affairs when a 6 month old $1k pistol fails in such a fundamental way.

Now I feel compelled to replace all the junk (notwithstanding the excellent experiences others seem to have had).

This is my second and LAST Kimber (sold the "Gold" Match) - both have let me down and I'm not about to have it happen again.

Regards,

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
What is the point in having a "close tolerance" fit gun that is unreliable? If Kimber is selling 70K guns per year, a number of those people are going to discover, like I did, that their gun is only about 50% on its way to becoming a reliable shooter. Every time I attend a class or a competitive event, someone pulls out a stock Kimber and starts blasting. He doesn't blast for too long because the gun chokes after 10 rounds. Happens more and more these days. Remember that your safety is not a drop in part, referring to the actual blocking of the sear. Good Luck.
Sparks

[This message has been edited by Sparks (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rodger,
Unless you just didn't mention that you fitted it all replacement safetys need to be fitted to each particular gun. If you didn't do this you need to run don't walk to your favorite gunsmith and have this done. Kimber service will not help you if you do not want another MIM part fitted. I've never messed with any kimbers so I don't know.... is the safety really MIM?

Falling out during dry fire makes me think it was not fitted properly in the first place.

Tony G.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tony:

Thanks for the good advice. Yeah, the part really is MIM. I think some of the problem is that the two safties do not fit together properly - there appears to be a piece missing or not properly formed on the left safety. Consequently the left safety does not engage the right saftey's slot as it should.

I ordered replacements for all the MIM parts (ED Brown and others), once they arrive I'll send the pistol to a good gunsmith to have it fitted properly. Until gone over by the gunsmith, this pistol will sit in the safe.

A detail strip is as advanced as I like to get w/ 1911's - the rest I leave to those qualified to do this kind of work (NOT ME!)

Regards,

Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts