1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to 1911s and thought I had watched enough videos about take down and reassembly of my new Pro Carry 2. I went to reassemble after my second take down and depressed the grip safety now the slide is stuck. Is there a way to fix it other than taking it to a gun smith or sending it to kimber. I’ve read other posts and can’t find an answer. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would think a good thump on the back of the slide would pop the slide off. Hold it by the grip, slide facing up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
remove the firing pin spring housing to relieve the pressure off the hammer. Slide the thumb safety out and remove the grip safety. If you need more, punch out the pins holding the hammer and sear assembly. That should get everything to open up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
remove the firing pin spring housing to relieve the pressure off the hammer. Slide the thumb safety out and remove the grip safety. If you need more, punch out the pins holding the hammer and sear assembly. That should get everything to open up
I can’t move the thumb safety enough to get to the pin that allows the safety to me removed.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Firing pin spring housing???
More conventionally known as the “Main Spring Housing” (MSH); as that’s what is shown in the photo.

Kuhnhausen “1911 Shop Manual”, I’d characterize as “must have” for a 1911 owner. Available as both print and e-book now. Not an expert myself, but very little I‘d be unwilling to undertake with Kuhnhausen’s advice (collectibles aside).

Good luck! Oh ... and I recommend having a largish, light colored, felt-ish finished surface and a fairly powerful magnet, in case springs etc. attempt escape.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
When I had one dis assembled I pushed the grip safety which caused the Swartz safety to come up. I then struck the palm of my hand with the butt of the gun. The force caused the Swartz safety to go back down. I did this several times, each time the safety went back down. Will it work with the slide still on? I don't know, but it's worth a try before I completely took the gun apart?
Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Move it up and down while pulling it out, it should slide out. Do you have Ambi safety? If so, remove grip on opposite side and pull that off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Move it up and down while pulling it out, it should slide out. Do you have Ambi safety? If so, remove grip on opposite side and pull that off
It’s not ambi. The hammer is still under pressure until I push the grip safety though, is that the issue with the safety not coming out

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you pull the thumb safety off, the grip safety will come off and you can see the sear spring and sear assy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I’m admitting defeat. I appreciate everyone’s advice. Don’t ask me how but I got it back to the way it was before I took the MSH out so if it goes to kimber it won’t go in pieces. Off to the local gunsmith it will go next week when he’s back in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts