1911Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
It’s a painful process but after this, you will be able to do a complete take down and reassemble. Don’t give up, you can do this!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well I’m admitting defeat. I appreciate everyone’s advice. Don’t ask me how but I got it back to the way it was before I took the MSH out so if it goes to kimber it won’t go in pieces. Off to the local gunsmith it will go next week when he’s back in.
If still under warranty send back to Kimber. If someone other that the factory touches the gun, warranty is void! Just call the customer service rep and they will send you a prepaid shipping tag. Easy Peasy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If still under warranty send back to Kimber. If someone other that the factory touches the gun, warranty is void! Just call the customer service rep and they will send you a prepaid shipping tag. Easy Peasy
It should be under warranty still. I’ve owned it for 3 days. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
For folks with the Swartz safety, do not depress the grip safety when installing or removing the slide.
Not picking on anyone, just offering a Swartz public service reminder.

Rock Chalk, sounds like you have already thrown in the towel on this one, but this may help you or someone else.
Since your grip safety is now pivoted out, spray some oil on the exposed back frame rails and tilt it down to let oil run forward, then use a plastic hammer to smack the top back of the slide a few times in front of the rear sight. Then tap or smack the muzzle end of the slide with your mallet/hammer to get the slide moving. Do the same to the rear of the slide until it releases and can be removed. Just use multiple sharp taps and be persuasive not abusive.
You will get the slide off.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Having read this thread, I will just throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm pretty sure that the issue is that you apparently tried to remove the slide from the frame while at the same time having the grip safety pushed in. Any excessive force will damage the Swartz safety push rod, and I'm guessing that this has already happened. Trying to "smack" the slide will most likely only make it worse. My recommendations are:

First choice, call Kimber and get a return authorization to send it to them as it is for repair. Whether they agree to do so free of charge, I don't know.

Second choice, take it to a highly qualified gunsmith who has a well regarded reputation for working on 1911 pistols.

I wish you the best with your Kimber, and please let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
IT’S ALIVE. I finally got ahold of Kimber and all they had me do was pull on the slide and hit the slide on the barrel end. It came free after a couple whacks and it’s as good as new.

And of course when I got that fixed my hammer was acting up, thanks to other posts I realized I did not reseat the spring correctly after taking out the MSH. Got it all fixed and I feel very accomplished now. I hope I don’t have to take the MSH out ever again

·
Registered
573 Posts
Great to hear that you have your Kimber back up and running! Actually there are a few simple things that make removal of the MSH a very easy thing. Like many others, I had to find these out the hard way.:)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts