1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get myself a Christmas present, and right now, odds are its going to be a S/A WWII Mil-Spec.

I have wanted a 1911 pattern pistol for the last few years, and after I started to carry a little over a year ago, I have realized the advantages of them.

I do, unfortunatly have a budget, otherwise I would get a HK P7M8 or a TRP Pro (or both :D ). So my choices are, S/A Mil-Spec, S/A XD-9, or Steyr M9.

Right now the MilSpec is the front runner.

So, help talk me into my first 1911. :D

Also, I would appreciate knowing what mags to buy, if I should just buy extra S/A mags, or Wilson or Mccormicks.

Also, does the Milspec feed JHP ammo well?

Thanks.

I.G.B.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Buy the milspec.

Now.

Did I help?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds like you want it to carry? I would either buy the XD or save my money for a 1911 pistol that incorparates some of what we have learned collectively as a shooting brotherhood in the last 100 years makes a 1911 a better carry gun.

Southern Ohio Gun is Selling RIA 1911 mil-specs for 277 dollars.
If you ask the guys that buy those they claim they are as good as the Springfield Mil-spec.

BEST BET is to start looking around for a NICE used 1911.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Which SA milspec??

I had read there are two choices of the Milspec in SA..
I read one post where they said buy the "upgraded" SA Milspec
which model is that? and what are the differences?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The Mil-Spec (not the WWII milspec) is a good basic gun that already has a lowered ejection port and higher, blockier sights, and is an excellent "base gun" choice.

And if you choose to modify things over time, like doing a trigger job or adding a beavertail, you won't have wasted any money in paying for features that you didn't want or need when you bought the gun.
And it runs just fine "as is", too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Go for the MilSpec.

I have about 7 different "carry guns" that I have bought over the years (including both revolvers and autoloaders) (not to mention a box full of holsters) each one was to be my "ultimate" carry gun due to size, or weight, or something that I thought I could improve upon.

Guess what? Despite all these options - (and except in rare circumstances, due to attire), - I always end up strapping on my SA MilSpec (standard milspec - not WWII model).

Even though it is heavy, its flat profile conceals so well, and pulls in so tight to the body in a high ride pancake holster that it just ends up being the most comfortable as well as "comforting" piece to carry. I also shoot it better than any other pistol that I own. Also, it is more reliable in terms of what it will "eat" than my fancy SA Champion.

....just some input based on my personal experiences.

good luck!
DD

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you're on a budget, the XD-9 will be cheaper to shoot. i have an xd-9 and a SA loaded. if i had to choose it would be hard to give either up...

-kotonk

·
Registered
257 Posts
If your gonna carry for self defense Id go for the XD in 40cal or 357sig. Nothing wrong with the WW2 mil-spec either. Its a personnal choice between the 2. I have one of each.....I love em both.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't want to talk you out of a Mil-Spec, but I noticed that SOG's latest flyer says they have a shipment of P7M8's in from Germany and they are selling them at $645; $25 for an extra magazine.

My friend's P7M13 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot (even beats the TRP). With its gas operated action, polygonal rifling, and very low slide profile (less moving mass), it is an exceptional firearm.

-Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think a big issue is what gun can you control. If you can control the 1911 go for it, but if you can control the xd-9 then get that. Try and find someone who will let you shoot it. The fire range by me will allow you to rent their used guns they have for sale. Often they have a .45 in this category. To be honest a .40 cal in a compact size can be more intimitading to control than a good ol 1911. I know from experience. Go with what fits your hand, make sure there is a variaty of holsters availabe (I bought a firearm for carry, but can't get a decent holster without ordering a custom one). This is a big deal if you're on a budget. My as soon as I can I am getting 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My WWII mil-spec is great, shoots great, is reliable, and carrys well. Price at 390.00 cant be beat. I have a colt officers acp also but I like the full size one better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WWII or XD

IMHO:
Get the WWII, and throw an extra $150-200 into sights, and a beavertail later. I used to own an XD-9, and loved it, but if you're like me, you'll want the larger pistol eventually, and you'll lose money on the trade (as I did). But I think they're both really affordable, reliable, accurate pistols-you can't go wrong, either way.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My Springfield WWII has to be one of the great values of 1911 handgun history. $389

One of the next best, the Springfield Loaded stainless I found three years ago. $525

Had a few hiccups with the Loaded, but now it hasn't missed a beat in many mags.

Have not had a single failure of any kind with the WWII. First and only time out both hollow points and ball fed perfectly through about seven mags, which included the Springfield issue mag that came with the gun, a McCormick, and Wilsons.

Just my limited experience, but a positive one.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Since you mentioned the Steyr M9, I'll comment on that. I carry one and it conceals nicely, shoots incredibly well, and points naturally. Only problem I've found is that it has feeding problems with Winchester FMJ target ammo (white box). I've run all other kinds of ammo through it (2,000 rounds or more) including a good 1,000 rounds of my reloads (mixed brass) and it operated flawlessly. Davidson's currently wholesales these and the M40 for $299 with a lifetime replacement warrantee. Don't know if they have the S series anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses.

It seems there is some disagreement about whether or not it would make a fine carry piece, but it also sounds like no-one is experiencing any failures with it as well.

I will continue to think about it over the next couple weeks until i go put the money down on it.

Thanks again.

I.G.B.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts