1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my neighbor is at it again for me to buy his 1927 colt 1911 made in argentina. lets say its in average condition as i dont have any pictures. what is a good ball park figure to the worth of this critter. also is there anyplace special i should look for any damages like cracks etc. the old fella is 70 yrs old and i dont want to cheat him or myself. he's wanting some CHRISTMAS MONEY. any help is very appreciated.
thanks
bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
well my neighbor is at it again for me to buy his 1927 colt 1911 made in argentina. lets say its in average condition as i dont have any pictures. what is a good ball park figure to the worth of this critter. also is there anyplace special i should look for any damages like cracks etc. the old fella is 70 yrs old and i dont want to cheat him or myself. he's wanting some CHRISTMAS MONEY. any help is very appreciated.
thanks
bob
If I remember correctly, this specimen was made on Colt machinery in Argentina. While I am not certain what they did down there, I have been made aware that the slides on US Military 1911s were not heat treated until the mid 30s. I would say look for cracks in the frame just above the slide lock hole and cracks in the slide. You also might look for pitting under the grips and the barrel itself. As to price, that is a question for someone else. Good luck!

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS FELLAS JUST WHAT I NEEDED. it broke my neighbors heart to find out its not made in 1927 but rather late 1954..... according to serial number. also price range is 450.00 to 675.00 best i can tell. off to the tradin bench i guess. good to know what i,am dealin with. also theres some on the auction sited now too.
bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts