1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Colt 1991A1 with the large "1991A1" rollmark on the side of the slide from an estate sale. The pistol has barely been fired (maybe one box) and I just couldn't pass it up. It is bone stock.

This pistol is a project pistol. I plan on updating a few parts and it will be a basic plinking pistol. The goal is not to turn this gun into a Yost/Ed Brown type custom pistol. The goal is to learn about the gun, have fun, and update some basic parts.

The first thing I plan on doing is replacing the plastic trigger and the plastic mainspring housing. I would like to get a nice three hole matte blue trigger. As for the mainspring housing, I am looking for a flat mainspring housing with lanyard loop.

Another major thing I want to do is purchase a spring kit and replace all the springs. Maybe change the recoil spring to an 18.5lb spring.

Can anyone help me with what type of spring kit I should use? I have heard of Wolfe and a few others. Any other suggestions?

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Why do you want to replace all the springs? The ones Colt uses are as good or better than aftermarket. Regarding the recoil spring, stay with the factory 16# unless you're going to shoot heavy loads through it. A lot of folks use 18.5#, which never made any sense to me because all it does is make it harder to rack the slide. Do replace the recoil spring every 2,000 rounds or so, however. Some say let the spring go longer, but for under $10 a pop a fresh recoil spring is cheap maintanence.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just purchased a Colt 1991A1 with the large "1991A1" rollmark on the side of the slide from an estate sale. The pistol has barely been fired (maybe one box) and I just couldn't pass it up. It is bone stock.

This pistol is a project pistol. I plan on updating a few parts and it will be a basic plinking pistol. The goal is not to turn this gun into a Yost/Ed Brown type custom pistol. The goal is to learn about the gun, have fun, and update some basic parts.

The first thing I plan on doing is replacing the plastic trigger and the plastic mainspring housing. I would like to get a nice three hole matte blue trigger. As for the mainspring housing, I am looking for a flat mainspring housing with lanyard loop.

Another major thing I want to do is purchase a spring kit and replace all the springs. Maybe change the recoil spring to an 18.5lb spring.

Can anyone help me with what type of spring kit I should use? I have heard of Wolfe and a few others. Any other suggestions?
fullsize or compact?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i agree with what dsk said, the 16 pound spring that comes with the gun should be fine. every couple of thousand round replacement is not a bad idea, since the springs are fairly cheap.

as far as replacing the trigger, i found a 3 hole aluminum trigger for mine at a gunshow for like 13 dollars. it wasnt an adjustable ( i didnt want the adjustment screw in it anyway) and it worked great.

the mainspring housing will be up to you as far as what it is you want. i never replaced mine, and it worked, but like you said this is a project gun so why not change it?

good luck with it,

russel
SDMF

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Most aftermarket triggers are bare aluminum. You may still be able to find anodized triggers from King's Gun Works. I really wish somebody made long, solid blued steel triggers like the ones used on the Colt WW1 Replica and older Combat Government/Elite pistols. Colt won't sell theirs separately.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
...Another major thing I want to do is purchase a spring kit and replace all the springs. Maybe change the recoil spring to an 18.5lb spring.

Some people will replace all the springs in any used gun they buy if it has an unknown round count. If yours is known to be fired very little then I wouldn't change any and I wouldn't change to a heavier recoil spring unless something can be corrected or improved in some way with a heavier one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I really wish somebody made long, solid blued steel triggers like the ones used on the Colt WW1 Replica and older Combat Government/Elite pistols.
Sir, I'm with you on the long steel trigger--I much prefer steel over aluminum for this. Though it's light, bare aluminum doesn't slide well on steel.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts