1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

Wanted to see if anyone could help me with my Colt Delta Gold Cup that I just got. As you can see, it came with a regular hammer as opposed to the skeletonized hammer that I thought was standard on these Delta Gold Cups.

So I order a hammer from Numrich and It looks good execpt for the little tab that engagues the sear. The original tab only extended out at the middle of the hammer, while the new one went clear across the hammer. Also the tab on the original seemed like it was slightly higher than the new one they sent me. The old one had more material.

I attached a picture of poor quality (sorry). The new hammer is on the left and the original is on the right.

Because of the poor pciture quality, I outlined the tabs that I am talking about which are at the top of the picture.

The Numrich site said this was 212440c - hammer, enhanced stainless for Colt delta gold cup series 80, officer's model series 80.

Obviously it is not a matter of fitting the new hammer, as the tab was not big enough - not enough material (height).

When I installed it the hammer would not lock going back or at the safety stop. Nothing caught.

I really want a skeletonized hammer on this puppy. But which one is the one I need?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas...

Attachments

· Registered
233 Posts
It has been my experience that parts from Numerich are not the best quality. I would suggest you get a Brownells catalog or go on line and order a good hammer like an Ed Brown, or Wilson. Brownell's catalog has about 30 different hammers available. In a Gold Cup you will probably need to have any hammer you buy properly fit to get a good match quality trigger pull.

· Premium Member
592 Posts
I believe the "tabs" you are discussing are the half-cock notches on the hammer. (Do a search for the differences between Series 80 and Series 70 half-cock notches/ledge). With regard to the difference in the width of the "tabs", the half-cock notch on the Gold Cup and many aftermarket hammers (my Nowlin Pro for example) are narrower so that the half cock notch rests only on the part of the sear that is between the hammer hooks. The reasoning is that should the half-cock notch be engaged, then the sear would not be damaged where the hammer hooks engage it thereby affecting the trigger pull. So it appears that the Numerich-sourced aftermarket hammer has a full width half-cock notch while the original Colt Gold Cup hammer had a narrow half-cock notch.

As to why the sear and new hammer are not engaging someone else will need to chime in here.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the information. I did not realize that the spur hammer was the stock one. I am hesitant to internet order another hammer only to find it will not work. There is a a couple gun show coming up in the next few weeks so I'll take the old one with me any try to match it up there. If I cannot find it I'll either send it to the local smith or Bob Cogan @ APW.

· Registered
369 Posts
I may be the only one who feels this way, but I think you should call Colt Customer Service (1-800-962-COLT(2658)), Monday through Friday 10am -12Noon and 1pm - 5pm EST

Explain what is on the gun now, find out from them if it is correct for that model. If it is, I would leave it that way. If it's not, I would ask Colt if I could send it to them to replace the hammer with the correct one.

Maybe that's just me, but that's what I would do. There's nothing wrong with the function on the trigger, right?

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,

Nothing wrong with the trigger - but now I managed to find lots of pictures of others and the spur hammer is the original. I'll find the right hammer - I take the old one to some guns show - someone has got to have a skeletonized replacement. I just want to be able to compare it before I buy it.

· Registered
722 Posts
It might not be that simple since the hammer sear and disconnector need to be fitted as a unit. A hammer might drop in and it might not. I like the idea of calling a tech at Colt, Nowlin, Wilson, etc., (or your preferred gunsmith) and getting some advise.

The life you save might be your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.