1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help with Identifying a Colt .45 auto with ACP Kit

*Subject title corrected for accuracy after reading responses

I inherited all of my father's guns last year. In the group is a Colt .45 that I requested info directly from Colt months ago that just showed up today.
I shot this very gun with my father at the range going back 40 years ago. It was given to my dad by his brother and interestingly enough was from a shop in the same town I lived in 48 years ago.

I tried searching .45 acp kit and came up with nothing.

Is this gun considered a 1911 or is it something entirely different ?

My son took it to the range last week and said it is amazing to shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
FYI people usually think (at least I did) that when you said a Colt 45 you are talking about a Colt single action army revolver because it uses Colt .45 ammo (sometimes people call it long Colt).

People usually refer to the ammo used in a 1911 as .45 ACP. The 1911 was designed to use .45 ACP ammo (Automatic Colt Pistol)
but after over 100 years the 1911 has been made in everything from .22 to 9mm to .38 super and even .357 magnum (if you believe the Coonan is a 1911 like I do)

By the way I just learned something, I was not aware that Colt shipped and sold guns that needed to be assembled and fitted.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
FYI people usually think (at least I did) that when you said a Colt 45 you are talking about a Colt single action army revolver because it uses Colt .45 ammo (sometimes people call it long Colt).
In the Army the 1911 was simply known as the "Colt .45", or simply the ".45". Virtually nobody ever called it a 1911. Nobody cared either that many of them were not made by Colt, nor did anyone ever think about the "other" .45s in service like the M1917 revolvers.

And of course you've got those who think it's just a malt liquor, but we won't get into that. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,354 Posts
When discussing these things with those who are not well-versed in the subject, if I say 'Colt .45 Automatic' they usually know what that is. The OP stated 'Colt .45 semi auto' which is correct enough for anyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When discussing these things with those who are not well-versed in the subject, if I say 'Colt .45 Automatic' they usually know what that is. The OP stated 'Colt .45 semi auto' which is correct enough for anyone.
I actually corrected my topic after some of the info received here and added the "semi-Automatic" . now I am going to correct again to "45 Auto"

On another subject... what do you guys think Lando Clarissian is talking about " It works every time" ? :)

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
I knew they made these and yours looks like others I have seen ended up. I am assuming they were cheaper than the finished gun and a deal for someone that wanted a gunsmith to build up a bullseye gun. I think collectors pay well for the "kit" as it came from Colt with no work done on the parts and in the original box and wrapping.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
I was unaware these kits were ever made. :mummy:
I remember hearing about the some years ago, but I've never actually seen one.

BTW somebody here once had a sig line the the effect that it didn't matter if we're talking about guns or beer, if somebody needs to end up being wasted there's a Colt 45 for the job! :D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTM View Post
On another subject... what do you guys think Lando Clarissian is talking about " It works every time" ?
Getting totally blasted.

Lando is talking about getting those ho's all tipsy so you can knock them up easy and then bailout on child support with the 7 kids you have by 6 different women in 5 states...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inkster ... I actually lived there for a few years when I was a kid.

I went to our local indoor range recently and this 45 shoots so nice. Thanks for the feed back

Apparently, your pistol kit was shipped the first year Inkster was incorporated.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Inkster ... I actually lived there for a few years when I was a kid.

I went to our local indoor range recently and this 45 shoots so nice. Thanks for the feed back
All right!
Nice that you are enjoying the pistol.
Carry on with all your good works.
:)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Nothing left of Irv's but an empty lot, now. The shop had a fire some years ago that destroyed the entire building. It all collapsed into the basement firing range.

I spent a lot of time in the winter at Irv's, shooting my Colt Combat Government Model. However, the ventilation system wasn't the greatest, and I usually coughed for while, to rid myself of the powder soot.

Ahhh, memories!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welp, learned something new today. Didn't know about kit guns either.

VTM, if you ever get a chance, I would love to see better pics of the roll mark on the slide. They look unique.

Great story and a neat piece of family (and Colt) history. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts