1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals, I just got a Winchester M1 Garand. (No camera at the moment, so no pic.) I was told it is 1943 manufacture, and that it was re-barreled in 1947. I would assume that means it saw quite a bit of action. Is there anyway I can find out anything about the history of this particular rifle? Maybe a source of where it went, and when.

Thanks for any help, Mikey D...

·
Banned
975 Posts
there is no real way of knowing where the rifle has been. the best your going to be able to do is to date the reciever and individual parts of the weapon.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Yeppers, as stated above unless you can find some arsenal rebuild marks and that would still be iffy.

I had a Blue Sky Re import so I know after WWII it went to Korea

But it is all better now and redone with a slight reduction too .308

Karsten

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You can also ask the guys at http://www.jouster.com; they really know their stuff. But they'll probably give you the same answer as lefty o. In the meantime, enjoy your new Garand! :cool:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
www.jouster.com has a chart that will narrow down the date the receiver was made. After that it is like just about everyone else has stated. Just about impossible to get the history of the rifle. There are some out there that the history has been documented, but not many. The Guam Garands for example has a rather detailed record as to their history. And once in a while you here about someone coming across the riffle they carried while they were in the service. But where it was before and after them is usually unknown.

And then you run across something that is really out there on the what are the odds of this happening.

http://www.odcmp.org/303/default.asp?page=MURPHY

Former Army Private James Murphy order a M-1 through the CMP in 2002 and gets the same rifle he carried in Korea in 1951. always like to see a Cav trooper come out on top :)

Stacey

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
That is quite a story. Hope that guy never plays the lotto again all his luck got used up with that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts