1911Forum banner

Help with Mini-14 spontaneously dissassembling

823 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  BOLANTEJ
Hello, I have a Ruger Mini-14. Every 30 rounds on average, the trigger guard latch unhooks and the gun disassembles itself during cycling. Any thoughts on how to fix this? This is a cheap plinker and I don't want to go throught the hassle of sending it to Ruger or taking it to a gunsmith -- I'd rather take the risk of damaging the gun, because it wont' get used anyway. Just wondering if I can bang on the trigger guard with a hammer or something to try to make the latch connect with more force. Thanks for any thoughts...
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
i dunno. try bending (ever so gently) the end of the guard w/the hole in it out a bit. either that or the latch inside the stock which the guard hooks onto. sorry' if i'm not much help. hopefully someone knows what to do. good luck. from what i hear, ruger will take care of you.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

· Registered
224 Posts
SEND THE MINI BACK TO RUGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have an excellent reputation for customer service. I have a couple of Mini-14's in addition to my Bushmasters and love them!!

Have you field stripped the rifle? Hold off on beating the trigger guard with a hammer. Do you have the synthetic or wood stock? Like you said, maybe just more force to make the guard latch is all that is needed.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the wood stock, but I was thinking of ordering a Choate one from Brownells. Deciding between the regular and the pistol grip.

The reason I am reluctant to send it to Ruger is that I am assuming they will want the whole rifle, not just the trigger guard assembly piece, and I really don't want to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees (the dealers around me charge a $50 transfer fee).

Thanks for the replies.

· Registered
253 Posts
if you own it you shouldn't have to pay tranfer fees...right everyone? call them up and see what they do. heck, they might even send you a new trigger assembly

you never know, y'know? good luck to ya and let us know what happens.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.