1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited my Grandad's pocket knife. I have lots of childhood memories of him pulling this out of his pocket whenever something needed cut. Also lots of memories of him saying that I was to young to use it when I asked to cut something.. :) To me, it's priceless but I would like to know more about it if anyone has information to share I would appreciate it. All I know is what is on the knife. It is about 3.25" closed. Has two blades and the emblem is a shield with a bird (maybe eagle) on it. The pointed blade has "Pakistan Stainless" on the back side. Thanks for any information, dates, manufacture, value etc..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38047903/Photo Dec 30, 1 05 46 PM.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38047903/Photo Dec 30, 1 06 16 PM.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38047903/Photo Dec 30, 1 06 31 PM.jpg

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
A lot of slipjoints and folders were made generically and stamped "Pakistan Stainless" by several Asian shops. Steel is usually 420, and the heat treatment of the blade is usually sparse to non-existent.

You will find many of these types of knives at your local flea market or "bargain" store. None are particularily valuable money-wise, and their value lays in your childhood memories and sentimental worth.

There's nothing you could do to this knife to ruin (or increase) its value, so go ahead and sharpen it up and/or polish it to your heart's content, and use it often in loving memory of your Grandad.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm actuary glad that it isn't something valuable so that I can carry it with me without worrying about ruining it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What was the info for manufacturer? I just found this forum from a quick google search I found a knife with the same duck/bird crest and no other markings while cleaning out my dads house. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's strange, the posts from others giving the answers are now not here. They said basically it was a "hardware store" counter knife made from cheap pakistani steel. No value other than sentimental.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Hey, if it will take an edge, and it looks like it does, then it can serve you well while helping you feel that connection with your grandpa and your childhood history. That works. I like the bird shield. A little different.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
It's cool having a tool handed down from a loved one, use it and enjoy the memories!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
absolutely! It's my favorite knife. It will hold an edge and is a great tool and every time I use it I can see my grandad getting it out to cut something when I was a little kid. It's priceless to me. I posted here to make sure I wasn't doing a disservice to a collectible by polishing and sharpening and carrying it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts